Thread: College Credits?

Default College Credits?

I would like to go to college in the next month or two and I'm wondering how many college credits I already have from the military. How many did I get from BCT and AIT? My MOS is 12b combat engineer. Do I need to contact a education consuler at a army base? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: College Credits?

What you need to do is a request an AARTS Transcript and have it sent to your school. They will then evaluate it and decide how many credits to award you. You can get your transcript by Clicking Here
    VANG:1997- Current
    13B, 42A, 79T
    RSP NCO: Jan 07-Apr 12
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

A college can give you college credit for you military training. Your specific college will review your transcript of training (http://aarts.army.mil/) then it can grant credits based on the ACE recommendation.
    http://militaryguides.acenet.edu/Sho...id=MOS-12B-005
    It appears like you might get 0 credits for the 12b school.
    But you might get 5-10 credits for BCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I would like to go to college in the next month or two and I'm wondering how many college credits I already have from the military. How many did I get from BCT and AIT? My MOS is 12b combat engineer. Do I need to contact a education consuler at a army base? Thanks for the help!
    To add to what was said, it is completely up to the school to decide whether or not to award you credits for your military education. Generally, they will only award you credits if they match an equivalent course at the school that they can give you transfer credit for. Furthermore, even if such a course exists and you are given credit for it, whether or not it actually contributes toward your degree will be determined by the particular program you are enrolled in.

For example, I studied mechanical engineering and despite having been through BCT, AIT, OCS, IBOLC, etc. (plus two deployments), I got zero credits toward my degree.

However, if your school has ROTC, BCT will give you credit for the first two years which should give you about six credits. But whether or not that actually gets you any closer to graduating will be determined by the requirements of your academic program. Good luck.

That's correct. You're school will be the ones that ultimately decides how many credits you'll receive. Also, what one college will accept as credits, another college won't. Something to keep in mind if you decide to change colleges. Good luck with your school!
    Last edited by RyCass; 1 Week Ago at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    A college can give you college credit for you military training. Your specific college will review your transcript of training (http://aarts.army.mil/) then it can grant credits based on the ACE recommendation.
    http://militaryguides.acenet.edu/Sho...id=MOS-12B-005

hmmm...that sounds a lot like what I just said

Quote Originally Posted by HR NCO View Post
    What you need to do is a request an AARTS Transcript and have it sent to your school. They will then evaluate it and decide how many credits to award you. You can get your transcript by Clicking Here
    13B, 42A, 79T
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

I tried aarts and it woulnt let me get on to it. I called the school I'm trying to get in to this mourning and they said they have ROTC. They also told me I need to send my dd214. How do I obtain my dd214? Does my unit have it?

You wern't given 4-5 copies or something like that when you left BCT?

I tried aarts and it woulnt let me get on to it. I called the school I'm trying to get in to this mourning and they said they have ROTC. They also told me I need to send my dd214. How do I obtain my dd214? Does my unit have it?
    You obtain your DD214 by hand -- they physically give you several copies when it's created at the end of your initial entry training, or any time you are leaving a period of active duty of at least 90 continuous days.

If you have lost or misplaced your DD214, that's not such a great situation because it has your entire service record, date of birth, and social security number on it. It can actually be used as a form of identification. You need to square yourself away and secure your personal paperwork. I suggest you buy a feed-tray scanner today and begin to keep records of all your paperwork in PDF format, and store them using an online backup utility such as Google Drive (or, at the least, email important records to yourself).

In the meantime, check iPerms to see if it has been uploaded. In my opinion, individual units have no business holding onto this type of paperwork -- it creates a liability and the soldier still has the responsibility of keeping track of his/her records.

Let me rephrase myself, what is a DD214? I have a binder full of ever paper I ever got and its scanned into my computer. I'll start looking threw my papers, will it tell me my credits on that paper?

Let me rephrase myself, what is a DD214? I have a binder full of ever paper I ever got and its scanned into my computer. I'll start looking threw my papers, will it tell me my credits on that paper?
    It is the piece of paper that says "DD 214" on it.

No, it doesn't list your credits. Nothing will list your credits, like I said previously, your school must decide how many credits they will give you. Generally speaking you'll only get about 3 for basic and AIT. If you aren't showing anything on the AARTS Transcript, it is probably because you just got back recently and it just hasn't all caught up in the systems. It will probably be there by next semester, just have them sent to your school then.
    13B, 42A, 79T
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

Try doing some research.

The military cannot "tell" you your credits; how your military experience is evaluated in terms of its equivalence to specific classes will depend on the particular institution (I feel as if I have already made this statement in this very thread). Your AARTS transcript provides colleges and universities with guidelines as to what a particular program is worth.

Once again, most ROTC programs will give you credit for the first two years of ROTC if you have completed BCT; this should give you six credits (assuming a regular three hr/week course is three credits). This does not require an AARTS transcript; just proof that you graduated from BCT (your DD214 should suffice).

You can get your DD214 from IPERMS

Got my DD-214 today! Now just need to get it fixed tomorrow!
    Sgt, USMC
    Semper Fi

Google "Education Support Center PEC". They are on Camp Robinson in Little Rock, AR.

There are civilian contractors there who get paid to help you with exactly what you're looking for.

Contact them and ask them to evaluate your AARTS and any civilian transcripts you have. They will evaluate them and give you a couple of custom degree plans for a couple different schools.

Quote Originally Posted by 91YJ View Post
    Google "Education Support Center PEC". They are on Camp Robinson in Little Rock, AR.

There are civilian contractors there who get paid to help you with exactly what you're looking for.

Contact them and ask them to evaluate your AARTS and any civilian transcripts you have. They will evaluate them and give you a couple of custom degree plans for a couple different schools.

This generally works better for those that have been in longer. If you just finished AIT, they really can't do much for you. But for those that can use it, it works great. That is what I did a couple years ago.
    13B, 42A, 79T
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III