Thread: Ruck March Adequate?

Default Ruck March Adequate?

Hey everybody. I am almost done with my whole enlistment process for 19D. I was curious about rucking in OSUT. Im at 5 miles with a 30 lb pack and I can do it at about 18 mins a mile. Is that good? Bad? More weight?

Default Re: Ruck March Adequate?

Honestly, you'll build up to the longer ruck marches in BCT, but it's a great workout so I'd keep at it without adding more weight (don't hurt yourself before shipping). Increase your distance and speed, but keep your pack's weight the same. I usually strive for 15min miles or faster. Try adding hills and elevation change into your routine if you haven't already done so.
    NVARNG - 31B

Yeah ive been walking around neighborhoods but there are a lot of hills and different elevations on my usual route. Whats the milage and weights for BCT? Thanks for the info.

Tyler, keep your present distance, add about 5 pounds to the ruck (not including water) and get under 15 mins per mile.

You will well ahead of 98% of your peers in BCT. Good luck!!
    Former Marine MP/CID 83-93
    GAARNG '06-Present 31B4
    Desert Storm 90-91
    OIF 08 OEF 11-12

I personally never see the point in new recruits doing this. No doubt it's good exercise, but it doesn't emulate most of the conditions at boot camp and you do not march for speed either.
    Former 11B/11C OEF Veteran
    IA and NJ Guard 2001-2009
    Check out my 104th PA LRS Video here

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
    I personally never see the point in new recruits doing this. No doubt it's good exercise, but it doesn't emulate most of the conditions at boot camp and you do not march for speed either.
    It's also ridiculously boring. Going hiking or backpacking is tons of fun, but wandering through a residential area for a few hours carrying a heavy sack is just mind-numbing. To each their own, though, I suppose.
    Disclaimer: I am not a recruiter and cannot guarantee the accuracy of my advice.

I do this, but I incorporate it with actual camping in a State park; I just hike REALLY far out....
    ''It is the love of country that has lighted and that keeps glowing the holy fire of patriotism.''

Quote Originally Posted by 0844 View Post
    It's also ridiculously boring. Going hiking or backpacking is tons of fun, but wandering through a residential area for a few hours carrying a heavy sack is just mind-numbing. To each their own, though, I suppose.
    For some of us like myself this is the only option. 15 mile ruck march through the city ***** but it's a better option than not doing it at all.

OP stay at your current mileage and weight, maybe add another 5 lbs. What ever you do DO NOT RUN! Resist the temptation. Your body wont be ready to handle it and you can run the risk of injuring yourself. I run during my ruckmarches but it is more of an airborne shuffle. I know you didn't mention anything about running but just trying to give you a heads up. Shorter faster steps will help you bring that time from 18 inutes to under 15 minutes a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
    For some of us like myself this is the only option. 15 mile ruck march through the city ***** but it's a better option than not doing it at all.

OP stay at your current mileage and weight, maybe add another 5 lbs. What ever you do DO NOT RUN! Resist the temptation. Your body wont be ready to handle it and you can run the risk of injuring yourself. I run during my ruckmarches but it is more of an airborne shuffle. I know you didn't mention anything about running but just trying to give you a heads up. Shorter faster steps will help you bring that time from 18 inutes to under 15 minutes a mile.
    This is Great advice. Though you may see some people run to make it, it will hurt them in the long run or even on the same test. I walked, and sometimes slightly airborne shuffled on my 12 miler at air assault, while some of the people who passed me running were tired and slow by the last few miles, and didn't make the time, or rolled their ankles on the way. Be quick and deliberate, and short fast steps. And I'm not tall, I'm only 5'4, so don't think it's all about long legs!
    Last edited by EOrsini; March 17th, 2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: I did NOT march 123 miles lol
    1LT Orsini
    XO, 250th F Co, NJARNG
    Email Me for assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by EOrsini View Post
    my 123 miler at air assault
    You marched 123 miles? Holy moose. Is that normal?

If you really want to test yourself in a march, get about 50 other people to do it with you...staggered, on 4 hours of sleep, while carrying a super soaker at the ready and filled up with enough water to make it 7lbs.

Oh yeah..and you have to stop every 5 minutes while someone out of the other 50 people unscrew themselves and get in proper formation.
    Last edited by SteveLord; March 16th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Former 11B/11C OEF Veteran
    IA and NJ Guard 2001-2009
    Check out my 104th PA LRS Video here

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not dumb enough to run on a ruck haha. I know that much. The purpose of it is just to become aquainted to a ruck before I get to BCT.

When I went to BCT at Ft Sill I had never rucked before in my life. The first ruck was only a mile or so to the tower. It felt like one of the hardest things in the world and felt like it took for ever (actually only about 20 min). But you ruck all the time while in BCT to and from different locations. By the time you do the final ruck you get back to your drill pad (or where ever you end up) and say to yourself... "that’s it? that wasn't so bad". The Drill Sergeants will set the pace and you will stop a lot for the back 10% of your company to catch up and to get water.

The only thing you need to worry about during a ruck is drinking water (lots of water) and taking care of your feet (black socks under green with foot powder on your feet and between the sock layers with mole skin on the back of your heal or any other hot spot).

Quote Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
    When I went to BCT at Ft Sill I had never rucked before in my life. The first ruck was only a mile or so to the tower. It felt like one of the hardest things in the world and felt like it took for ever (actually only about 20 min). But you ruck all the time while in BCT to and from different locations. By the time you do the final ruck you get back to your drill pad (or where ever you end up) and say to yourself... "that’s it? that wasn't so bad". The Drill Sergeants will set the pace and you will stop a lot for the back 10% of your company to catch up and to get water.

The only thing you need to worry about during a ruck is drinking water (lots of water) and taking care of your feet (black socks under green with foot powder on your feet and between the sock layers with mole skin on the back of your heal or any other hot spot).
    LOL! Stop? On a road march? ¿Que?
    50th IBCT 11B

Quote Originally Posted by TylerM22 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm not dumb enough to run on a ruck haha. I know that much. The purpose of it is just to become aquainted to a ruck before I get to BCT.
    I am assisting soldiers with their EFMB so we have to ruck under 3 hours so there is a little jogging in between. Similar to air assault school.
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X, OEF XII

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
    If you really want to test yourself in a march, get about 50 other people to do it with you...staggered, on 4 hours of sleep, while carrying a super soaker at the ready and filled up with enough water to make it 7lbs.

Oh yeah..and you have to stop every 5 minutes while someone out of the other 50 people unscrew themselves and get in proper formation.
    This... and since you should not be running with a ruck (unless you're in a competition or getting chased by someone) get faster by increasing your stride length.
    RI ARNG * 31B * 1/2009 - Present
    OEF Veteran (JTF-GTMO)

Quote Originally Posted by AirCav View Post
    You marched 123 miles? Holy moose. Is that normal?
    HAHA EDITED! I didn't notice that lol
    1LT Orsini
    XO, 250th F Co, NJARNG
    Email Me for assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ732 View Post
    LOL! Stop? On a road march? ¿Que?
    LOL....They don't stop at benning (maybe if your a pogue). If you fall behind the roadguard your a fallout.

Feet, ankles, and water. Keep these in good order and your DS's will do the rest.

I never got a single blister or even worn skin during BCT. I never used powder. I don't think I have particularly tough feet. What did I do? Fox River Socks. Worth every penny.

AShimon- I thought you were only allowed to bring white calf socks to BCT. Did your DS say anything about your socks?
    O9S
    TXARNG

The Fox River socks I got were from the mini-PX near my Company. They are OD Green and no my DS did not say anything. YMMV tho. I am sure you could bring a few pairs to BCT from home or attempt to buy them there.