Thread: Suicide stand down

Hybrid View

Default Suicide stand down

Obviously, this does not apply to me since I am deployed but just passing the message of our Chief of Staff. Should have hit your AKO e-mail.

Today, our Army will stand down to conduct suicide prevention training. This is an opportunity to heighten awareness for Soldiers, Civilians, Families and communities about suicide threat factors, about the resources available for help, and about building resiliency across the force.

I cannot overemphasize how important this issue is to me. Every life lost to suicide is a tragedy to our Families, to our units, and to our Army.

We must work together to create a culture and an environment where people feel comfortable getting the behavioral health assistance that they need. Our Warrior Ethos states "I will never leave a fallen comrade." I need everyone to take that to heart. Every individual contemplating suicide has a friend, Family member, or leader in the position to help. I need you all to get involved. Intervening requires personal courage and leadership. It isn't easy, but there is no room for bystanders.

We are a resilient Army, and we are committed to building our individual and collective strength - physically, emotionally, socially, spiritually, and within our Families. You must continue to refine and apply the resiliency skills you learn.

Last week I visited Afghanistan, Djibouti, and the Sinai Peninsula where I had the opportunity to talk with, present awards to, and re-enlist Soldiers. I am so proud of and humbled by the dedication and professionalism I see throughout the Army on a daily basis. Every member of our Army Family is important, and we will never waver on providing you the care and support you so rightly deserve.

Raymond T. Odierno
    General, 38th Chief of Staff
    United States Army
    Chief Warrant Officer, US Army
    Former Marine & Guardsman
    OIF IV, OEF X, OEF XIII

Default Re: Suicide stand down

National Guard units will be completing this over the next couple months. They have to do at least 8 hours, but it can be split between two drills.
    VANG:1997- Current
    13B, 42A, 79T
    RSP NCO: Jan 07-Apr 12
    Operation Noble Eagle
    OIF III

We had to do this training today on Ft Rucker. Was most unorganized thing I've ever seen. Trying to cram every military and civilian employee on post into the post theater, and they only split it into two groups.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    --Quote Removed--
    Do you remember the safety stand down at Ft. Drum after the lightning strike? Do you also remember the soldier that was sent to the ER because a camo net pole fell on his head during that safety stand down?
    Last edited by SteveLord; 4 Days Ago at 08:29 PM.
    1LT IN NJ ARNG