Thread: Re-Class Question: Bonus and such

Hybrid View

Default Re-Class Question: Bonus and such

I want to apologize in advance for the lengthy post. I am an 11B E-5 Sergeant in the the VAARNG. Recently I was asked if I would like to re-class into a newly added 35F slot in my Battalion. I have accomplished all of my goals as an 11B (2 deployments, CIB, Ranger Tab, 3 years as an E-5, etc) and thought I would like to broaden my skill set. I submitted my request for transfer. Shortly after this, I extended for 6 more years with a $10,000 extension bonus. I have been given differing answers as to whether or not I will still receive my bonus if I re-class into another critical MOS. Two weeks ago, I was offered a better civilian job, neccessitating me to sell my house and move. The same day that I accepted the job, my readiness NCO called and told me that my orders had just came in, and I had already been slotted for 35F. I had no intention of leaving my current job when I volunteered to re-class. This new job offer was just too good to pass up. I would hate to leave my new job so soon after being hired, to attend the lengthy 35F reclass school.

My questions are: Is there anyway to have my 35F orders rescinded, and return to my previous paragraph and line number as an 11B? Second: In the event that the orders cannot be rescinded, will reclassing to 35F from 11B affect my bonus? The Guard has never been about money for me, and I would have extended even if they were not offering bonuses. That being said, The extra money would be nice to facilitate my impending move (currently up-side down with my mortgage...bought it in '07).

I will be calling my unit for guidance on Tuesday, but just wanted to see if anyone on here can provide insight. Thanks.

Default Re: Re-Class Question: Bonus and such

It sounds like you are a model soldier that your unit is invested in...so communicating with them to work out your details shouldn't be a big deal. If both MOSs have bonus eligibility the PMOS change won't change that. Also, you can hold the 35F as a duty MOS without being MOSQ for a long enough period to get settled in your new job prior to reclass training. More importantly, you can reclass through a reserve component 35F school which is done in a few phases. The first is a DL portion followed by a two week phase in resident. (FY: 2012 School: 956 Course: 301-35F10 (R1) Phase: 2 Course Length: 2 Weeks 2.0 Days) That's right from the ATRRS Course Catalog. You can Google it. So, you won't have to go away for months to Fort H to do it.

More importantly, "THE SOLDIER MUST MEET TOP SECRET (TS) SENSITIVE COMPARTMENTED
    INFORMATION (SCI) ACCESS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO BE AWARDED THIS MOS. TO
    BEGIN TRAINING, AN INTERIM TS CLEARANCE WITH SCI ACCESS ELIGIBILITY GRANTED
    FROM THE CENTRAL CLEARANCE FACILITY MEETS THIS REQUIREMENT.

So, you'll have to get that process underway first...and it's not particularly speedy. So, my advice...Talk to your unit, and engage them in starting your TS process so you can get an interim clearance. Then have them enroll you in ATTRS for the phase 1 distance learning portion of the 35F course. You can go to the 2 week reclass resident, that will be followed eventually by 2 more 1 week 2 day phase 3 and 4 classes. So after the DL you have a little over a month broken up into 3 parts. No big deal for any employer.

Default Re: Re-Class Question: Bonus and such

I believe the LT covered it pretty much and very well, but I would also check with your S1 to see what they can do as well.