Thread: Can I still join up?

Hybrid View

Default Can I still join up?

Hi. I am interested in joining the Army ROTC program when I finish my AA degree this year and go to a 4 year university for my Bachelors. I am particularly interested in Simultaneous Membership Program with the Army National Guard and ROTC. I have doubts as to whether or not I would be allowed to join though. In October of last year I was enlisted in the Air Force DEP, and within a month I had been given my AFSC job and BMT ship date. Within less than 2 months of my being in DEP and 3 months before I was scheduled to ship out to BMT, I had to inform my recruiter that I had a few issues (personal/family related, nothing legal or medical) that had come up which would have conflicted with my commitment to the Air Force at that point and time. He said he understood, and asked that I come in to sign my job contract anyways so that he could save the job and give it to someone else instead, and I did so. Apparently he did not tell his Recruiting wing commander about my situation until a month before my ship date. He contacted me once again, and then after that I didn't hear from anyone in the Air Force. My worry is that I do not have any documentation saying that I was discharged or released from DEP. Will this disqualify me from joining the Guard? I no longer have anything on my part to keep me from joining and serving in the military, but due to my uncertain situation with Air Force DEP I am uncertain if I would be allowed. I would appreciate any clarification as to whether or not I am eligible.

Default Re: Can I still join up?

Did you receive any discharge paperwork? If you had your ship date then you officially enlisted so you should have received a DD214.
    "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."
    - Colin Powell

My question is, did you complete the whole enlistment process, (not including training of course)? If so, you should have some sort of DD214 with a separation code and a narrative reason. I doubt you'll be barred from enlisting, based strictly on what you've posted. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a National Guard recruiter asks for you to verify that the family issues you had previously are no longer a problem. Worse case scenario, you'll have to obtain a waiver.

No, I don't have any discharge or release paperwork whatsoever, which is what I am worried about. I did let my recruiter know 3 months in advance so I'm really hoping that he documented my status and that my record doesn't show me as being AWOL or something which would prohibit me completely from enlisting later. I was told by a few friends I have in the military that even though I enlisted into DEP at MEPS, that my final "real" swear-in and final contract would be on my ship date at MEPS again, and that if I had been listed as AWOL the MPs would definitely have come for me or I would have at least heard something from the Air Force or DOD. Not that I took my original swear-in to DEP lightly at all, hence my concern. I am not a flaky person prone to changing their mind for no reason.

I could definitely provide a narrative reason, and I sure hope that I can get a waiver if needed. Planning on finishing my AA degree in December before talking to a recruiter, but just wanted to check on here first and see what my eligibility chances are. Joining the military and serving my country has been on my heart for a long time and I would be thrilled to somehow be able to have a second chance to do so. Thank you for your replies! You've been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mseda5_0 View Post
    No, I don't have any discharge or release paperwork whatsoever, which is what I am worried about. I did let my recruiter know 3 months in advance so I'm really hoping that he documented my status and that my record doesn't show me as being AWOL or something which would prohibit me completely from enlisting later. I was told by a few friends I have in the military that even though I enlisted into DEP at MEPS, that my final "real" swear-in and final contract would be on my ship date at MEPS again, and that if I had been listed as AWOL the MPs would definitely have come for me or I would have at least heard something from the Air Force or DOD. Not that I took my original swear-in to DEP lightly at all, hence my concern. I am not a flaky person prone to changing their mind for no reason.

I could definitely provide a narrative reason, and I sure hope that I can get a waiver if needed. Planning on finishing my AA degree in December before talking to a recruiter, but just wanted to check on here first and see what my eligibility chances are. Joining the military and serving my country has been on my heart for a long time and I would be thrilled to somehow be able to have a second chance to do so. Thank you for your replies! You've been very helpful.

It sounds like you lucked out. Your friends are correct on this one. If you had officially swore in, you would have discharge paperwork, no exceptions. Sounds like you went through the motions but never completed the final step. This means you pretty much have a clean slate on paper with no AWOL hanging over your head. To ease your anxiety, this isn't uncommon; recruits do this all the time for various reasons. They will start the process and never finish it.

Honestly, if you are truly interested in enlisting, the best way to find out your eligibility is to talk to a recruiter. What have you got to lose? Here's how you can get connected to one: Pre-Qualification form

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RyCass View Post
    It sounds like you lucked out. Your friends are correct on this one. If you had officially swore in, you would have discharge paperwork, no exceptions. Sounds like you went through the motions but never completed the final step. This means you pretty much have a clean slate on paper with no AWOL hanging over your head. To ease your anxiety, this isn't uncommon; recruits do this all the time for various reasons. They will start the process and never finish it.

Honestly, if you are truly interested in enlisting, the best way to find out your eligibility is to talk to a recruiter. What have you got to lose? Here's how you can get connected to one: Pre-Qualification form

Let me know if you have any questions.
    If the OP picked their job, had a date to go to Basic and was in the AF DEP, then the OP officially swore in and completed all the steps and would have discharge paperwork.
    "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."
    - Colin Powell

Quote Originally Posted by robinpugs06 View Post
    If the OP picked their job, had a date to go to Basic and was in the AF DEP, then the OP officially swore in and completed all the steps and would have discharge paperwork.

I didn't swear in until my ship date (AD). I could have walked away clean anytime before that.
    Sgt, USMC
    Semper Fi

Sounds to me like you need to go straight to the source and get in touch with your old recruiter to find out what your status is. He should be able to point you in the right direction to get your DD214.