Quote Originally Posted by Walkerg423 View Post
So I am due to ship out 20120828 as a 68w however I have realized that college is my main priority and wish to be shipped out earlier with a new MOS(either 74D,68G,or 88M). My recruiter put in a request and now I am just waiting for the results.

My questions are...
1. Being that I am a California resident but am trying to transfer to Arizona after AIT can I avoid the hassle by having my contract stationing me in Arizona?
2. Also if I had to go through the interstate transfer how long would the process take because I already have a lot of paperwork to complete for ASU.
3. If I cannot get what I want in my new contract am I bound to the previous contract I had signed or is it now void?

Thank you for your responses in advance and any help will be much appreciated.
To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can do an Interstate Transfer before you head out to AIT, but it may not go through before you leave. You'll need to speak to your recruiter as soon as possible to get a handle on the time line. If you don't get transferred before you finish training, then you will report back to your unit in AZ. At that point you can do an interstate transfer, but will have to drill in AZ until it goes through.

2) There's no time frame for waivers. The best way to ensure your request is processed quickly is to have all your paperwork together and have an open line of communication between both states.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by contract. Are you referring to your enlistment contract? If so, Interstate Transfers rarely change a Soldier's contract.

Ultimately, you need to speak to your recruiter and let them know of your situation.