133 results total, viewing 1 - 20
When Nancy Oden says in her OpEd “No more free passes for Israel” (BDN, Jan. 10-11) that all Jews should be responsible for the actions of some Jews, she holds Jews to a higher standard than any other group. That’s not fair. more
State and federal governments currently owe Waldo County General Hospital more than $12 million for the 2004-2008 period. No interest is being paid on this money. The state and federal governments owe more than $400 million to Maine hospitals. more
I just read the Jan. 7 OpEd by Jo Cooper about the elderly and their need to being able to drive. more
I received a request from MPBN to renew my membership the other day. I live in Washington County. In February, MPBN will stop broadcasting in Washington County. more
Watching the Sunday morning news shows, I get the feeling that the stimulus package will be closer to $1 trillion than the billions so often mentioned. more
I’m not writing about MPBN’s decision to shut down its signals in Washington and Aroostook counties. What I write about is another decision by MPBN that must contribute even further to the demise of its public esteem. more
The BDN’s coverage of the problem of elderly drivers described the problem well, but did not offer any solutions. more
I share Karen Baldauski’s concerns (“Uncontrolled pesticides,” BDN letters, Jan. 2) about the swift retreat staged by the Board of Pesticides Control on Dec. 19 in response to objections of inconvenience raised by some pesticide applicators. more
Snowblower safety What are adults thinking about? Seeing the BDN’s Dec. 23 photograph of the Brewer man snowblowing after our recent storm with his … more
In response to the “Delegation eyes probe on airline surcharges” in the Dec. 30 BDN, I wonder if Maine’s congressional delegation really believes the airlines are suddenly in the black. more
In Maine, a minor’s right to confidential access to reproductive health care is guaranteed. Confidential access to these services helps reduce a teen’s risky … more
If Gov. Baldacci and the Legislature were serious about cutting costs, they would start kicking people out of the jail and prison system. I have been told that the average cost of keeping a person in jail is $55,000 a year, more if the person is old, disabled or terminally sick. more
I am prompted to write regarding cutbacks by MPBN and some responses to it in the BDN. I hesitate to write this because of passions aroused by whatever MPBN does. I, too, am upset by the cutbacks planned for Fort Kent and Calais. more
In response to the letter by Mr. Chapman of Rockport (“Double standard,” Dec. 26) concerning “free speech,” it seems we have an apples and oranges situation here, in my opinion. more
My first reaction to hearing the news of the impending discontinuation of operation of the MPBN transmission towers in Calais and Fort Kent was a selfish one of relief that it wasn’t going to affect me. more
The “Wise Words” letter by Robert M. Frank Jr. (BDN, Dec. 17), caught my attention not so much because of its profoundness in meaning, but because authorship of these powerful ideas remained anonymous. The man who coined these words was Mohandas Gandhi and he referred to them as “man’s seven deadly sins.” more
“Protesters give very cold shoulder to KFC” was a very enlightening article. Just one year ago when my sister Rebecca was invited to Venice, Italy to teach at an International Art School and show in a gallery there, the BDN chose not to report the successes of a young, local professional. more
Double standard Shortly after Obama’s election, a Maine shop owner exercised his right to free speech. That exercise had him tarred and feathered in the court of public opinion. Some … more

Good job, DOT

I would like to take this opportunity, as a veteran commuter, to thank the Maine Department of Transportation and local plowers of Chester and Lincoln for a job … more
I read with sadness the governor's plan to shut down Dorm III at the Charleston Correctional Facility. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.