Family Ties
25 results total, viewing 1 - 20
Tomorrow would be my great-great-grandmother’s 150th birthday. Mary Alice Cummings was born on Jan. 13, 1859, to Silas Harris Cummings and Sarah Abigail (Hildreth) Cummings in Greenville. more
The best cider he ever had came from the Old Cider Mill in Bradford, writes Bruce Arlington Bailey. “Fresh and running freely off that press,” Bailey wrote in the winter issue of Looking Back at Bradford, the newsletter of Bradford Heritage: Museum and Historical Society. more
Though I don’t think I ever met her, Nancy Hamlin Davis surely would have been one of my favorite librarians. With help from her mother, Ruth Hamlin, Davis compiled many lists of cemetery inscriptions for the Upper Kennebec Valley in the 1990s when she was at Bingham Union Library. more
Ohhhh, the assumptions we make. Barnabas Baker was a Tory who went to Nova Scotia, but he came back after the American Revolution was over. So says an 1894 biographical sketch of grandson Lyman … more
What would your genie like to find under the Christmas tree? Try one of these. “Hermon, Maine, Then and Now,” the very fine 500-page history written by Mary Gaudreau, Rosanne Gray and the late … more
I’ve been on a kick lately, taking four-generation pictures when the opportunity arises in our extended family. more
Sometimes a wonderful book is out of print before you realize it had been published. So it’s great to hear that another printing will take place sometime in the coming year. more
I don’t have William Brewster or John Alden and Priscilla Mullins in my family tree, or at least I haven’t found them. My Pilgrims, passengers on the Mayflower in 1620, include Francis Cooke, … more
There are a few genealogical resources I consider so important that I have a copy both at home and at work. more
One of my cherished possessions is a five-generation picture in which I’m the infant in the arms of my great-great-grandmother, Mary (Cummings) Bennett Lord. Also in the photo are my dad, Gayland … more
In March, we looked at the Irish ancestry of the presidential candidates, and in recent weeks I’ve had great fun pondering some of vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin’s Maine ancestors, … more
With Gov. Sarah Palin’s mom, Sally Sheeran Heath, having Gower ancestors in Abbot, Farmington, Topsham and Winslow, I wondered if her dad had forebears in our neck of the woods. more
If you read the Oct. 16 front-page story in the Bangor Daily News on Gov. Sarah Palin’s Gower ancestry in Abbot Village — and I hope you did — you may be wondering who else the governor had for … more
The exciting news for today is that our obituary archive for the last few years, which was off-line for a bit while we put up the new Web site, is back better than ever. more
The Androscoggin County town of Turner was first called Sylvester, Sylvestertown and Sylvester Canada — and with good reason. The land was first granted to Capt. Joseph Sylvester and his company … more
The family histories are 929s, and the town histories are 974s. Knowing that will help you navigate facilities such as Bangor Public Library and Maine State Library in Augusta. more
I received a great question by e-mail the other day: Who am I supposed to track when working out family lines? Which ones matter? more
It’s a compliment when people who attend your meeting say they want more time to look at the displays. That’s the comment that organizers of Maine Old Cemetery Association meetings are hearing — and they’re listening. more
In the 1900 census for Oxbow Plantation in Aroostook County, Canadian-born William Atkins, 42, is listed as a taxidermist. The census enumerator could have gone on and on ... more
In the 1900 census for Oxbow Plantation in Aroostook County, Canadian-born William Atkins, 42, is listed as a taxidermist. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.