Bill Graves
15 results total, viewing 1 - 15
I truly love the holiday season, and my inner child still gets very enthused about exchanging gifts Christmas morning. I got some wonderful presents this week from friends and family, by the way: Some hunting gear, fishing equipment and several surprises too. more
Ocean waterfowling can be very rewarding, despite seasonal conditions. more
’Tis the Season! If you’re over 40 you’re probably as amazed as I am that it’s Christmas time again. I swear that as we age the years seem to pass by more quickly. But with less than two … more
Ever since I became a teenager, with few exceptions the long Thanksgiving weekend was designated for three great days in deer camp with family and friends. more
After last winter’s record-setting snowfall and its corresponding devastation to central and northern Maine’s deer population, this fall’s hunting season had been awaited with a mix of … more
Time and again I’ve seen sportsmen tire of a particular style of fishing or hunting or lose interest in a specific furred, finned or feathered quarry. I’ve had it happen myself over the years. … more
I received a phone call from a close crony last Saturday evening, the first day of deer season was history and he had a sad tale to tell. My buddy, who shall remain nameless to reduce the torment and … more
Every hunter has a favorite quarry, a particular species of game that draws that outdoorsman afield with the strength of an addiction. Time after time the huntsman matches wits with this preferred … more
In January, I wrote an article suggesting New Year’s resolutions for sportsmen in 2008. One of my prime objectives was to become more involved with cultivating young anglers and hunters, especially … more
My first deer hunting ventures to “The Big Woods” were in a 4x4 International Scout. Since that vehicle hasn’t been built for decades, I guess I’m aging myself. I wasn’t as tall as Dad’s Long Tom shotgun the first few years, but I remember those apprentice outings like yesterday. more
You can always tell an old hunter —you just can’t tell them much! This old joke has been used to rib hundreds of professions and pastimes over the years and still draws a chuckle. more
As I reeled in my line to change my fly yet again, it took just a glance to confirm I needed a new leader tippet. more
With just a few exceptions, Maine youngsters learn to shoot with a .22 rifle and a small-bore shotgun, most likely a .410 or 20 gauge. As these blossoming hunters grow and mature, paper targets and … more
As much as I enjoy fly casting for native brook trout and landlocked salmon, over the last few years smallmouth bass fishing with ultralight gear has become a rewarding portion of my summer angling. … more
Any Atlantic salmon angler who has fished the Gaspe, read the Atlantic Salmon Journal or attended a regional Atlantic Salmon Federation dinner will recognize the name Richard Adams. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.