Amateur Naturalist
5 results total, viewing 1 - 5
The universe is about 13.7 billion years old. Or that’s the best estimate for now, anyway. Only 150 years ago it was thought to be about 240 million years. And that was roughly 239,995,000 years older than calculations 200 years before that, in the 1600s. more
One December afternoon before he outgrew every shoe in the house, my son and I went to the woods to cut a Christmas tree. He was old enough by then to navigate the snow the same way I did when I was … more
Living in the woods, we don’t see Mercury very often. It’s always close to the sun, and so it only appears sometimes in morning or evening twilight and never gets high enough in the sky to clear the firs around the house. more
Strange dark shapes were scuttling around on the sandy bottom. I watched them from the wharf at Chebeague Island with my little 8-year-old hands gripping the splintery planking and my face stuck out … more
The news from Mars recently has been as delightfully confusing as ever. It’s not that science is failing to advance — the astronomers are accumulating data hand over fist. But there’s so much … more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.