ShopGirl
26 results total, viewing 1 - 20
Who doesn’t love Anne Taintor’s biting humor? I have a small collection of her vintage-meets-bitchy goodies. more
It’s about time. For a few years now, a small but talented group of fashion designers has been working, somewhat under the radar, in eastern Maine. more
So long, 2008 — it was nice knowing you. OK, maybe it wasn’t. Especially for those of us who love to shop. more
You know the saying, “The cobbler’s children have no shoes”? It always struck a chord with me. Although my maternal grandfather was, in fact, a cobbler, Mom has made up for it in (Kate) spades. And ballet flats. And mules. And kitten heels. more
It’s time once again for the annual ShopGirl all-Maine gift guide, and this year, I haven’t just found new goodies — I’ve found new stores. more
For some of us (ShopGuy), the best part about the whole holiday season is the Christmas stocking. None of the gifts is huge or expensive, everything is usually practical and there’s always … more
When I was a little girl, my grandfather always joked that my allowance was burning a hole in my pocket. Thankfully, for me and my pants, a trip to the mall or the gift shop downtown usually would extinguish the fire. more
You’ve heard of the “call of the wild.” Consider this the call of the styled. You know you’ve got it — great fashion sense, that is — so flaunt it by nominating yourself or a … more
And now, for the understatement of the year: My homemaking skills leave something to be desired. Dust bunnies multiply like, well, rabbits in my presence. The floors in my house are clean enough to eat off — if you’re a dog. more
Remember those Old Navy ads last year? “If you are chilly, here, take my sweater.” Yes, it’s a sweet little tune. But as much as I love you, I hate the advice. If you are chilly, step away from … more
You stopped checking your 401(k) weeks ago because you couldn’t take the pain. You haven’t filled up your car in months because the last time you did, it cost $60 — and you drive a Civic. And … more
My mother always told me it was a bad idea to talk politics with people you don’t know very, very well. Heck, my parents wouldn’t even tell ME which party they supported, although it didn’t … more
If you think “Nightmare on Elm Street” is creepy, you clearly haven’t experienced “Nightmare on Main Street.” This is what would happen if I didn’t stock up on fabulous Halloweenies for … more
Perhaps it’s time to rethink pink. I’m not colorist (or stylist, for that matter). Some of my best friends are pink. They’re even pinker on those first few bikini-weather days in Maine. more
He hadn’t been in a fight since we left Bangor. We thought he had finally turned his life — and his wayward habits — around. Then, out of the blue, he comes home one night, bloodied and … more
A few months ago, I heard a news story on the radio about how women buy expensive makeup when the economy tanks. We’re not about to go out and spend, say, $1,000 on an evening gown, but a $20 lipstick is an affordable indulgence. more
For once, and perhaps the only time, Heidi Klum and I have something in common. Unfortunately, it’s not dress size, salary or modelesque looks. more
It’s not the most scientific of experiments, but I believe my theory on menswear can be proved by one photo: a man strutting down the catwalk in a floral embroidered linen shorts-suit. more
Shopgirl's wish list for fall trends. more
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’m beholding, and I have to say, ShopGirl readers are the fairest of them all. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.