Taste Buds
19 results total, viewing 1 - 19
My nephew Seth and his friend Marie discovered this little peanut sauce for pasta. As young people in a hurry, they really liked how easily it went together and how tasty it was in a Thai fashion. more
These waffles are a little more trouble to make than your standard ones but it is a holiday week, and kids are home from school so why not have a special breakfast? This is another good thing to do … more
Remember the cinnamon sticks we tried a year ago or more? Those tasty, rolled-up, cinnamon sugar-filled little numbers? When I asked for a recipe for them Robert Burgess of Orland sent along a pile of rugelach recipes because he thought possibly the dough was similar. more
If I did no other holiday baking, I would make a batch of Julekake. For me, it is the flavor and odor of Christmas and all I need to prompt my digging out the red-and-gold reindeer mugs for a cup of … more
This caramel corn is the kind that Mrs. Claus makes to send out with Santa. It is the easiest caramel corn recipe I have used in a long time and comes from island neighbor Sarah Wilbur, who got it … more
This caramel corn is the kind that Mrs. Claus makes to send out with Santa. more
Seen in the pre-Thanksgiving Dining section of a major national newspaper: “Leftover mashed potatoes normally head straight for the trash can.” What kind of nut tosses out leftover mashed potatoes? more
By this time next week, you will have had your Thanksgiving dinner, turkey and pumpkin pie and all. With luck you will have a turkey carcass to toss into a pot for soup to which you can add celery, … more
Homemade granola is a great alternative to packaged cereal as far as both price and healthful ingredients are concerned. When I read the ingredients list on the average box of flakes, puffs or … more
The Page Farm and Home Museum in Orono held its Apple Fest on Oct. 25, and Gayle Crowly’s apple pie won the most votes in the apple recipes contest. Gayle, who lives in Bangor, added a bit of cream … more
In August, Gladys Paine of Hermon wrote to say that she used to make Cherry Winks for her children and would like to have the recipe again. Just as she thought, it was a Pillsbury Bake-off recipe … more
We finished digging potatoes out of our garden last week and our parsley is a mound of green, reveling in the cool and sunny weather. The two suggested to me a soup I had made a long time ago and … more
Red Flannel Hash even sounds warm. A few weeks ago someone wrote to ask if anyone had a recipe for it and I thought, I know how to make that! An image of an old-fashioned New England boiled dinner … more
A few weeks ago when we featured good old baked beans in this column as an economical alternative for supper, Peggy Drinkwater in Greenbush was inspired to send along a recipe she likes that uses … more
Don’t put 2 teaspoons of salt in the Deep Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake and please don’t worry that something was left out. That was a hiccup. more
A couple weeks ago, we asked for an open-faced blueberry pie recipe. The goal of this pie is to lighten it up a little by leaving off the top crust and to have a more intense blueberry-flavored filling. Lots of you sent recipes, and it seems to me that there are two basic kinds of these pies, and a third sort involving cream cheese or sour cream, which I guess makes up for calories lost for no top crust. more
Wild blueberry harvesting season is progressing north and eastward. Apparently it started in southern Maine last week, reached midcoast this past week, and is due to reach Down East next. So this is … more
This week we have to talk about a wonderful dessert I met up with and also about frozen blueberries in cake. Dessert first. A couple of weekends ago, I was on Deer Isle wearing my food … more
If the response to last week's query is any indication, lots of people like the idea of an open-faced blueberry pie. So while I am pecking my way through all those recipes, we might as well get back … more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.