Chris Corio
12 results total, viewing 1 - 12
Sightings of sharp-shinned, Cooper’s, and red-tailed hawks are not all that uncommon. more
Kinglet sighting another highlight of Scarborough marsh Winter birding is full of surprises. Last week I had written about a trip to Scarborough Marsh that produced some spectacular sightings — bald eagles and my first sighting of a rough-legged hawk — but the story didn’t end there. more
Winter birding can be either spectacularly rewarding or incredibly frustrating. more
Each morning, upon waking, I gaze out my third-story bedroom window to enjoy the sun rising over Casco Bay. On one particular morning a week ago, the view was especially beautiful: The sky was perfectly clear, yet the air over the ocean was slightly misty. A silvery gold sheen came off the surface of the water, which was flat calm, and the tide was out. more
Recently, I had to travel to Indiana for my job, which necessitated driving to and from a large university and living out of a hotel situated in the middle of acre upon acre of big-box stores, fast … more
No matter how many times I witness the spectacle of bird migration, it never ceases to awe and humble me. And the most magical experiences always seem to occur in the late hours of bright, moonlit … more
As summer begins to fade, I try to hold the good days we had in memory against the coming cold season. more
The recent storm that traveled up through the Gulf of Maine produced lasting effects on some of the birds in the region, as I was to find after corresponding with my friend Paul Markson in … more
Last weekend I met a friend for an early morning bird walk at Gilsland Farm Audubon Center in Falmouth. more
Uncommon birds are often seen during migration, when they may stray from their normal routes or get blown off course during a storm. Winter is also a prime time to see such birds, when hardy northern … more
A few months ago I had discovered a brown thrasher had apparently taken up residence in my neighborhood. The bird seemed to have staked out a close thicket of small trees and shrubs, and I found him … more
One of the benefits of living near the ocean, for me, is the increased variety of bird life I see and hear. I've particularly enjoyed almost daily views of osprey, which seem to be numerous in my … more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.