Emmett Meara
22 results total, viewing 1 - 20
After 14 years at the State House, Savage, 77, has been termed out. Her work there is done. more
Admit it. You don’t know any more words to “Auld Lang Syne” than you do to “Louie, Louie.” You hum-mumble the words to both songs. You don’t know jack about New Year’s Eve, either, even though you are still recovering from it. more
I know. You are already huddled by the wood stove, complaining about the snow and the cold. Plus that little problem about paying for those Christmas gifts you just had to buy. more
Midcoast residents with half a brain always depended on the luxury of the Samoset Resort in Rockport to get them through the long, cold winter. The Wednesday night Italian buffet for $10 was a cabin fever reliever, if you could stay away from those $9 glasses of wine. more
The thin blue line was thick and strong Tuesday at the Cornerstone Baptist Church in Camden. More than two dozen local, county and state police officers with area firefighters lined the church walls … more
I have done some shameful, shameful things. I once went to Yankee Stadium. I shoplifted jackknives from the local five-and-ten-cent store until they were forced to put them under lock and key. I … more
Call me Scrooge. Believe me, I have been called far worse. But I hate Christmas trees. Don’t get the idea. Don’t want them in my house. more
The year was 1869. It was only four years since Abraham Lincoln's assassination. U.S. Grant was in Obama's house, The Suez Canal was opened and the Transcontinental Railroad was completed in Utah. … more
When I think of Blue Eyes and her birthday, I will think of Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg. You have to understand that she is a pluperfect planner and organizer. She has organized my most … more
We all love to have the daylights scared out of us. Witness the meteoric sales of that sicko, Stephen King. You know you will sit there and watch “Nightmare on Elm Street” every time it is on, … more
Maybe it’s maturity raising its gray and wrinkled head. No. That couldn’t be it. Maybe it’s just fatigue and old age settling into the bones. God, I hope not. more
Wall Street has become a zone of fascination at Cobb Manor, because I presume that somewhere within that $700 (or is it $900) billion taxpayer bailout, there will be enough crumbs to dissolve the … more
I don’t know what a “motherboard” is. But I know I need a new one. For $300. I know of no one more dependent on a computer than I am. My day starts at 7 a.m. with a review of the news … more
I could have bought him a beer (two). I should have bought him a beer (two). But no. Was there ever anyone cooler than Paul Newman? more
My new psychiatrist, Dr Jerald Block, seems to think I have a problem with addiction. He could be right. After all, it starts at 6 a.m. and normally runs, intermittently, until 10 p.m. when The New York Times finally releases its daily crossword puzzle. It is the Internet. more
Despite my fading Irish charm, plus the accelerating aches and pains, there are some days that I feel pretty good about myself. Then I hear about somebody such as, say, Simon Spurr, and I realize what a pathetic charade I am living. more
Main and Limerock. My friends are an undependable lot, prone to being fashionably late or, in the case of Jefferson Phil, not showing up at all. So I arrange to meet them, when I must, at bars and … more
Guilty as charged, your honor. I admit that I am an unabashed Kennedy supporter. Always was, always will be. I was getting all misty as Ted Kennedy addressed the Democratic convention this week, for the last time. more
"And you wanted to be my latex salesman," Seinfeld says to George, who is lying on the apartment floor with his pants at half-mast. more
When I become king, my first act will be to ban celebrity coverage, like "Entertainment Tonight" and the like. I don't care if Britney is wearing underpants and I don't want to see Brad and … more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.