Ron Brown
24 results total, viewing 1 - 20
I field a lot of questions as a sports columnist for this newspaper. more
A quick perusal of this year’s Bangor Daily News High School Basketball Preview shows some interesting coaching combinations for the 2008-2009 season. Admittedly, most of the coaching rosters … more
I have to take issue with some of Kevin Ritchie’s observations (BDN, Dec. 23) regarding BDN sports columnist Ron Brown. more
From time to time, when I sit down to prepare thoughts for this space, I come up with things and suggestions for sports, acting as if I were the Sports Czar. more
Merry Christmas! Thoughts turn today to the seemingly ongoing battle each year to minimize the holiday of Christmas by reducing its significance with a plethora of activities, mostly sports-related, that take young people away from the home and put them into one athletic event or another. more
Triggered by news out of Watkins-Glen, N.Y., that Watkins Glen International is in need of a sponsor for its NASCAR spring Cup race after Centurion Boats pulled out of the final year of its contract, … more
I must confess that I actually missed last week’s so-called Black Friday, the post-Thanksgiving day, which finds droves of shoppers racing out to begin the Christmas shopping season. more
Basketball officials endure hours of in-class and on-court instruction The next time you attend a high school basketball game in eastern Maine, take a look at the game officials down on the floor. more
I was never much of an outdoorsman. Having said that, I do retain many family memories of the upcoming Thanksgiving week. Like most boys in a Maine family, I was, however, taught the … more
Bob Sinford is a rock picker. As boys soccer coach at Machias Memorial High School, Sinford spends much of his time performing the insignificant, mundane tasks which contribute to his successful program. more
Today is Election Day. No, I’m not going to admonish readers to vote because I know most of you will. I would, however, like to address a few issues that I wish were on the ballot this … more
Back in the day before television rights affected most of what professional sports did in the preseason, the Boston Celtics played some of this exhibition stuff right in our own backyard at the Bangor Auditorium. more
I didn’t laugh. I didn’t cry. I chose rather to reflect. As the 2008 baseball season came to a disappointing end Sunday night for the Boston Red Sox, I chose to look back on a season and … more
I used to be an owner of one of those amplifying devices that gives the user — yours truly — an added edge in listening to a sports broadcast at the volume of his or her convenience. more
High school football has a rich history in this country. more
For the third time in my life I am an interested parent involved in the youth soccer program of the Bangor Parks and Recreation Department. more
With all the hoopla surrounding the New York Yankees’ final home game last weekend at Yankee Stadium, I couldn’t help thinking about historic sports venues in my own life. more
I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to the subject of heroes. more
The subject is background checks and the subsequent work which follows if you’re hired. more
I am not a big proponent of the use of video replay for major league baseball. Here’s why. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.