John Holyoke
54 results total, viewing 1 - 20
Many of us love spending time in the Maine woods, whether we’re hunting, fishing, hiking or riding a snowmobile or ATV. more
As high noon approached on a gorgeous Saturday, Kylie Dow took time out from ice fishing on Pickerel Pond to show off the biggest fish she’d ever caught. more
With a week of fishing behind them, anglers on northern Maine’s Long Lake are already smiling ... and the season’s just getting started. more
On New Year’s Day, as temperatures dropped below 5 degrees and a steady wind made it feel even colder, a few friends and I planned to meet on a local river for some off-season fly … more
For the past several months, Gilbert Roy has been looking forward to a milestone day on the St. John River near his home in Van Buren. more
Another year with no deer has passed, and it’s time to start looking toward the future. I won’t bother making resolutions — we all know how those will turn out — but I do have a few goals. more
Ask a Mainer about the weather — any kind of weather — and you’ll likely get an earful. If it’s hot, it’s too hot for many. If it’s cool, it’ll be unseasonably cool. And if it’s cold … well … you can guess what we’ll have to say about that. more
Come the end of December, most avid anglers on Aroostook County’s Long Lake have typically prepared for a couple weeks of smelting in advance of their landlocked salmon season. more
Most mornings, I’d be rooting for you to read this column bright and early, before you head out the door to face the day. Today, I hope that’s not the case. Today, Christmas Day, I hope … more
A few weeks back, after years of planning and negotiating and debating, a controversial Marsh Island deer hunt finally began. more
On a cold, snowy morning last week, Brad Allen leaned against an 18-foot Lund boat and admitted the weather seemed perfectly suited to one of his favorite pastimes. more
At various times over the past year or so, I’ve received several interesting e-mails from Dave Baker of Glenburn. more
It’s a brisk Saturday morning, and you’re probably looking for a nice indoor project that will make you feel warm and fuzzy. I’ve got one for you. It’s quick. It’s simple. And you … more
For the past seven Novembers — ever since I joined the state’s league of orange-clad sneaky-creepers and tree-sitters — I have eagerly looked forward to shooting my first deer (and, to be honest, telling readers all about it). more
Walk through any local bookstore and you’ll find a corner filled with volumes that deal exclusively with Maine. more
For many of us, hunting season has ended, and we’re left to catalog the things we did well, the things we did poorly and the things we didn’t do at all (like tag a deer) during our month in the … more
Since its founding in 1999, the Maine Winter Sports Center has built a reputation for providing the facilities and coaching that can help developing athletes excel. more
For many Mainers, the words Down East refer to a region along the coast, though those outside the state can be forgiven for referring to the entire state with the quaint term … and referring to all … more
Maine trappers exist in a world that many don’t see and perform tasks that many others don’t want to think about. Until, that is, a certain critter makes people want to think about those … more
If you were one of the successful moose hunters who took part in the September and October seasons, you no doubt realize that most of your fellow hunters also filled their tags. more

Contact Us | Help/FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Copyright ©2009 Bangor Publishing Co.