Texas Department of State Health Services Home


   

Find Services | News & Information | Rules & Regulations | Business Information 
 (Buscar)

iconFunding Alert Vol. 18 No. 7 Alert #4 - July 24, 2007

Texas Department of State Health Services icon Funding Information Center icon Toll free: 1-888-963-7111 ext. 7684 icon Austin phone: (512) 458-7684 icon Fax: (512) 458-7683


The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Alert is published weekly.  If you wish to subscribe to the Funding Information Center Funding Alert and other services, please call (512) 458-7684 or fill out our online subscription form which can be found at: https://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/fic/subscribe.htm.  Information in the Funding Alert is not copyrighted and may be reproduced. The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Information Center would appreciate credit for the material used and a copy of the reprint. For information on viewing Adobe Acrobat .pdf and other files, see file viewing information.

Disclaimer: External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to persons with disabilities. External e-mail links are provided to you as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are not e-mailing the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and DSHS policies do not apply should you choose to correspond.


Funding News and Grant Tips

IRS Announces New Filing Requirement for Small Tax-Exempt Organizations
The Internal Revenue Service has announced that beginning next year small tax-exempt organizations that were not previously required to file returns may be required to file an annual electronic notice, Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard. Organizations that do not file the notice risk the loss of their tax-exempt status. The new filing requirement applies to tax periods beginning after December 31, 2006. Small tax-exempt organizations whose gross receipts are normally $25,000 or less are not required to file the Form 990 or Form 990-EZ. With the enactment of the Pension Protection Act of 2006, these organizations are now required to file the Form 990-N with the IRS annually. Exceptions to this requirement include organizations that are included in a group return, private foundations required to file Form 990-PF, and section 509(a)(3) supporting organizations required to file Form 990 or Form 990-EZ. The requirement does not apply to churches, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches. The IRS is developing an electronic filing system (there will be no paper form) for the e-Postcard and will publicize filing procedures when the system is completed and ready for use. The new law requires the IRS to revoke the tax-exempt status of any organization that fails to meet its annual filing requirement for three consecutive years.
From The Foundation Center's Philanthropy News Digest e-mail, 7/17/07icon

This Just In! New Books Join FIC Collection
The following 11 new books have joined the FIC collection and are available to be checked out.

The Accidental Fundraiser: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Money for Your Cause.
Roth, Stephanie and Ho, Mimi. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2005.
Call Number: HG 177 R845a 2005 FIC
ID Number: 20001386
Subject(s): Fund raising.
This book guides the reader through the process of raising money from their community. The book presents eleven proven fundraising strategies that are easy to carry out and do not require significant funds, large numbers of people or an extensive knowledge of fundraising. Step-by-step instructions for carrying out fundraising activities are included.

Charitable Giving Law Made Easy.
Hopkins, Bruce R. Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
Call Number: KF 6388 H793c 2007 FIC
ID Number: 20001393
Subject(s): Gifts - Law and legislation. Income tax - Handbooks, manuals, etc. Charities - Taxation.
CThis guide presents in-depth discussions on such topics as the timing of charitable deductions, estate and gift tax considerations, special property rules, and planned giving. It includes practical tips and advice with plain-language explanations of laws and regulations for non-legal professionals.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Grant Writing.
Thompson, Waddy. 2nd ed. Indianapolis, IN : Alpha Books, 2007.
Call Number: HG 177.5 U6 T478c 2007 FIC
ID Number: 20001389
Subject(s): Proposal writing (grants). Grantsmanship. Fund-raising.
This book shows how to create fund-winning proposals and where to submit them. It gives information on the qualifications for grant eligibility; advice on how to find government, corporate and foundation donors; profiles of the organizations who offer grants; research tips and tricks for attracting the right donor; and information on budget planning.

Fearless Fundraising for Nonprofit Boards.
Worth, George. Rev. ed. Washington, DC : BoardSource, 2003.
Call Number: HV 41.2 W932f 2003 FIC
ID Number: 20001390
Subject(s): Fund-raising. Nonprofit organizations – Finance.
This book presents ways to motivate and empower board members so they wholeheartedly involve themselves in fundraising activities. The book clarifies the processes of successful fundraising.

Fundraising for Social Change.
Klein, Kim. 5th ed. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2007.
Call Number: HV 41.9 U5 K64f 2007 FIC
ID Number: 20001394
Subject(s): Fund-raising. Nonprofit organizations - Finance
This book includes proven tips on how to ask for money, planning and conducting major gifts campaigns, using direct mail effectively and more. It includes how to use technology such as e-mail, online giving and blogs. Topics such as ethics and working across cultural lines are also included.

Generating Buzz: Strategic Communications for Nonprofit Boards.
Patterson, Sally J. Washington, DC : BoardSource, 2006.
Call Number: HD 30.3 P318g 2006 FIC
ID Number: 20001392
Subject(s): Nonprofit organizations. Strategic planning. Communication in management.
This book highlights the nonprofit board's role in communication, presenting an overview of roles and responsibilities that will help board members provide the necessary vision, support and oversight. It discusses how to undertake a strategic communications planning process, communicating during a crisis, and positioning the organization through branding.

Hank Rosso's Achieving Excellence in Fund Raising.
Rosso, Henry A. Tempel, Eugene R. 2nd ed.
San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 2003.
Call Number: HG 177 R838h 2003 FIC
ID Number: 20001385
Subject(s): Fund-raising.
This book examines the fund-raising profession's principles, strategies and methods. It is filled with practical examples. It explains the reasoning behind the planning and selection of strategies for all fund-raising activities, including building the case for support, approaching donors, managing campaigns, and practicing stewardship.

Navigating the Organizational Lifecycle: A Capacity-Building Guide for Nonprofit Leaders.
Connolly, Paul. Washington, DC : BoardSource, 2006.
Call Number: HD 62.6 C752n 2006 FIC
ID Number: 20001388
Subject(s): Nonprofit organizations - Management. Organizational change. Organizational effectiveness. Nonprofit management.
Understand, prepare for, and navigate the lifecycle passages and changes experienced by nonprofits. Learn how to assess a nonprofit organization's stage of development in order to align capacities, manage organizational transitions, and anticipate future challenges. Discover strategies for making the case to funders for capacity-building support. Contents: What are nonprofit lifecycles and capacities? -- Organizational capacity and lifecycles : how and when do they interrelate? -- Building organizational capacity -- Taking capacity building one step further : obtaining outside help.

Pillars of Accountability: A Risk Management Guide for Nonprofit Boards.
Herman, Melanie L. 2nd ed. Washington, DC : Nonprofit Risk Management Center, 2006.
Call Number: HD 62.6 H551p 2006 FIC
ID Number: 20001391
Subject(s): Nonprofit organizations - Management. Risk management.
This book offers advice and action steps to build and strengthen nonprofit organizations. The book explores five pillars of accountability in five chapters: Pillar 1: Ethical Fundraising; Pillar 2: Strategic Risk Management; Pillar 3: Fiscal Integrity; Pillar 4: Leadership Sustainability; Pillar 5: Sound Employment Practices.

Taking the High Road: A Guide to Effective and Legal Employment Practices for Nonprofits.
Hauge, Jennifer Chandler and Herman, Melanie L. 2nd ed. Washington, DC : Nonprofit Risk Management Center, 2006.
Call Number: HF 5549 H371t 2006 FIC
ID Number: 20001395
Subject(s): Nonprofit management. Personnel management.
This book discusses all aspects of personnel management as they relate to the nonprofit sector. Chapters are included on employment-at-will, staffing, compensation, fringe benefits, leaves of absence, discipline, illegal harassment policies, accessibility, privacy and workplace safety.

Taming the Troublesome Board Member.
Kissman, Katha. Washington, DC : BoardSource, 2006.
Call Number: HD 2745 K61t 2006 FIC
ID Number: 20001387
Subject(s): Nonprofit boards. Nonprofit management. Interpersonal relations.
Organized as a reference guide, this book lays out a blueprint for avoiding and resolving the challenge of disruptive board members. It explores the root of troublesome behaviors and helps identify and address problems quickly and with as much grace as possible. Real-life case study examples illustrate specific behaviors with analysis and recommendations on the best next steps, in any boardroom. Contents: Understanding the problem -- Poor boardsmanship -- Poor people skills and personality conflicts -- Misfits and delicate (but troublesome) circumstances -- We're only human.
From The Funding Information Center's Bibliography, 7/18/07icon


Public Funding Opportunities

Nutrition and Alcohol-Related Health Outcomes (R01) PA-07-403
(This is a companion grant to PA-07-404 and PA-07-405.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/5, 6/5, 10/5. Expires 9/8/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Because the nature and scope of the proposed research will vary from application to application, it is anticipated that the size and duration of each award will also vary. The total amount awarded and the number of awards will depend upon the mechanism numbers, quality, duration, and costs of the applications received.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement solicits Research Grant (R01) applications from institutions/organizations that propose to examine associations between nutrition and alcohol-related health outcomes in humans and animal models.
CFDA: 93.273, 93.393
CONTACT: Please see URL for information on specific multiple contacts. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-403.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/17/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, nutrition/food services

Nutrition and Alcohol-Related Health Outcomes (R03) PA-07-404
(This is a companion grant to PA-07-403 and PA-07-405.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 9/8/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Because the nature and scope of the proposed research will vary from application to application, it is anticipated that the size and duration of each award will also vary. The total amount awarded and the number of awards will depend upon the mechanism numbers, quality, duration, and costs of the applications received.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement solicits Research Grant (R01) applications from institutions/organizations that propose to examine associations between nutrition and alcohol-related health outcomes in humans and animal models.
CFDA: 93.273, 93.393
CONTACT: Please see URL for information on specific multiple contacts. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-404.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/17/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, nutrition/food services

Nutrition and Alcohol-Related Health Outcomes (R21) PA-07-405
(This is a companion grant to PA-07-403 and PA-07-404.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Cancer Institute (NCI), Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 9/8/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Because the nature and scope of the proposed research will vary from application to application, it is anticipated that the size and duration of each award will also vary. The total amount awarded and the number of awards will depend upon the mechanism numbers, quality, duration, and costs of the applications received.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement solicits Research Grant (R01) applications from institutions/organizations that propose to examine associations between nutrition and alcohol-related health outcomes in humans and animal models.
CFDA: 93.273, 93.393
CONTACT: Please see URL for information on specific multiple contacts. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-405.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/17/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, nutrition/food services

Rural Emergency Responders Initiative
SOURCE: United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications accepted on an ongoing basis.
$ AVAILABLE: Please see URL for funding information.
ELIGIBILITY: These funds are available to public bodies, nonprofit organizations, and recognized Indian tribes.
PURPOSE: The Rural Development, through its community facilities program, provides funding for the Rural Emergency Responders Initiative to specifically strengthen the ability of rural communities to respond to local emergencies. The community facilities program funds are used to support rural emergency responder efforts by financing needed equipment and services.
CFDA: Not listed
CONTACT: See the USDA local office locator page at http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/tx/officeinfo.htm. For more information see http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/cf/Emerg_Responder/rural_emergency_responders_initi.htm
From Rural Assistance Center Web site, accessed 7/18/07icon
Subject(s) rural health, emergency medicine

Screening and Brief Alcohol Interventions in Underage and Young Adult Populations (R01) PA-07-406
(This is a companion grant tp PA-07-407 and PA-07-408.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/5, 6/5, 10/5. Expires 7/6/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards issued under this announcement are contingent upon the availability of funds and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this announcement is to encourage research grant applications on screening and brief interventions to prevent and/or reduce alcohol use and its adverse consequences.
CFDA: 93.273
CONTACT: Mariela C. Shirley, (301) 443-9787, fax: (301) 443-8614, e-mail: shirleym@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-406.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/18/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, adolescent health

Screening and Brief Alcohol Interventions in Underage and Young Adult Populations (R21): PA-07-407
(This is a companion grant to PA-07-406 and PA-07-408.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 7/17/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards issued under this announcement are contingent upon the availability of funds and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this announcement is to encourage research grant applications on screening and brief interventions to prevent and/or reduce alcohol use and its adverse consequences.
CFDA: 93.273
CONTACT: Mariela C. Shirley, (301) 443-9787, fax: (301) 443-8614, e-mail: shirleym@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-407.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/18/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, adolescent health

Screening and Brief Alcohol Interventions in Underage and Young Adult Populations (R03) PA-07-408
(This is a companion grant to PA-07-406 and PA-07-407.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 7/17/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards issued under this announcement are contingent upon the availability of funds and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this announcement is to encourage research grant applications on screening and brief interventions to prevent and/or reduce alcohol use and its adverse consequences.
CFDA: 93.273
CONTACT: Mariela C. Shirley, (301) 443-9787, fax: (301) 443-8614, e-mail: shirleym@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-408.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/18/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, adolescent health

Studies to Identify Possible Juvenile Protective Factors and Their Effects on Aging (R01) RFA-AG-08-003
SOURCE: National Institute on Aging (NIA), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 10/22/07. Application: 11/19/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $2.2 million for five to six awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) issued by the NIA and NICHD is intended to stimulate research on the concept of juvenile protective factors — namely that certain factors that are active during one or most post-natal maturational stages exert protective effects that inhibit the onset or progression of specific adverse aging changes.
CFDA: 93.866, 93.865
CONTACT: Chanda Dutta, National Institute on Aging, (301) 435-3048, fax: (301) 402-1784, e-mail: DuttaC@nia.nih.gov or Terry T-K Huang, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, (301) 594-1846, fax: (301) 480-9791, e-mail: huangter@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AG-08-003.html
From Grants.gov e-mail, 7/18/07icon
Subject(s) aged/seniors, children's health, medical research

International Network for Identification, Evaluation, and Follow-up of Families with Early Onset Dominantly Inherited Alzheimer’s Disease (U01) RFA-AG-08-002
SOURCE: National Institute on Aging (NIA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 9/19/07. Application: 10/19/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $3 million in FY2008 to fund one application.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small business, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, faith-based or community-based organizations, and eligible agencies of the federal government.
PURPOSE: The National Institute on Aging is seeking cooperative agreement applications to set up an international network consisting of a consortium of scientific investigators that will have the responsibility to identify, recruit, evaluate, and follow-up individuals from families with early onset dominantly inherited Alzheimer’s disease [i.e., families with the amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin 1 (PS1), and presenilin 2 (PS2) mutations or duplications or others still to be discovered].
CFDA: 93.866
CONTACT: Neil Buckholtz, Ph.D., (301) 496-9350, fax: (301) 496-1494, e-mail: buckholn@nia.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AG-08-002.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) aged/seniors, medical research

New Interventions for Menopausal Symptoms (U01) RFA-AG-08-004
SOURCE: National Institute on Aging (NIA), National Institute on Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), Office of Research on Women’s Health (ORWH)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 10/26/07. Application: 11/23/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $4.35 million in FY2008 to support the Network comprised of a data coordinating center and 4-5 clinical sites. The total project period for the Network is five years.
ELIGIBILITY: For-profit or nonprofit organizations, public or private institutions (such as universities, colleges, hospitals, and laboratories), units of state and local governments, and eligible agencies of the federal government.
PURPOSE: To establish a Menopausal Symptoms Clinical Research Network that will accelerate the development and testing of promising therapies to provide new options to alleviate the most common, bothersome symptoms of the menopause transition.
CFDA: 93.866, 93.865, 93.213
CONTACT: Sherry Sherman, Ph.D., (301) 496-6942, fax: (301) 402-1784, e-mail: shermans@nia.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AG-08-004.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) women's health, medical research

Mechanisms of Immune Modulation (R01) RFA-AT-07-004
(This is a companion grant to RFA-AT-07-005.)
SOURCE: National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), National Cancer Institute (NCI)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11/14/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $1.5 million for up to three new awards in FY 2008.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: To support mechanistic studies of complementary and alternative medicine modalities believed to modulate immune function. It is not intended to support efficacy studies.
CFDA: 93.213, 93.393, 93.307
CONTACT: Dr. Carol Pontzer, (301) 435-6286, fax: (301) 480-3621, e-mail: pontzerc@mail.nih.gov or Young S. Kim, Ph.D., (301) 496-0126, fax: (301) 480-3925, e-mail: yk47s@nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AT-07-004.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) medical research

Mechanisms of Immune Modulation (R21) RFA-AT-07-005
(This is a companion grant to RFA-AT-07-004.)
SOURCE: National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), National Cancer Institute (NCI)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11/14/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $1.5 million in FY 2008 to this RFA for payment of applications responsive to this announcement and the companion RFA-AT-07-004.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: To support mechanistic studies of complementary and alternative medicine modalities believed to modulate immune function. It is not intended to support efficacy studies.
CFDA: 93.213, 93.393, 93.307
CONTACT: Dr. Carol Pontzer, (301) 435-6286, fax: (301) 480-3621, e-mail: pontzerc@mail.nih.gov or Young S. Kim, Ph.D., (301) 496-0126, fax: (301) 480-3925, e-mail: yk47s@nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AT-07-005.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) medical research

Health Research with Diverse Populations (R01) PA-07-409
SOURCE: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 9/8/10.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards issued under this announcement are contingent upon the availability of funds and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: To support research that will increase scientific understanding of the health status of diverse populations and lead to effective health interventions and services for individuals within and across those groups and populations. High priority is given to research that focuses on understudied, hidden, or difficult-to-access groups that seem to have distinctive health risk profiles but have received relatively little attention by the public health and scientific community. This funding opportunity highlights a particular set of such groups: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and related populations. The proposed research should be appropriate for the missions of one or more of the participating Institutes.
CFDA: 93.279, 93.242, 93.273, 93.865
CONTACT: Please see URL for information on specific multiple contacts. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-07-409.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) minority health, medical research

DSHS Statewide Physician and Other Licensed Professional Services (DSHSPROF08-09)
SOURCE: Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7/31/07.
$ AVAILABLE: Not listed.
ELIGIBILITY: See contract announcement.
PURPOSE: The Department of State Health Services (DSHS) is seeking to establish multiple contracts with qualified professionals to provide physician services, including the following: Physician, Psychiatrist, Allergist, Anesthesiologist, Cardiologist, Oral Surgeon, Dermatologist, Endocrinologist, Ear Eye Nose and Throat MD, Gastroenterologist, General Medicine, Genetics, Hematology/Oncology Specialist, Infectious Disease, Neurologist, Nephrology, Neurosurgeon, OB/GYN, Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Orthopedic MD and Surgeon, Ophthalmologist, Optometrist, Orthodontics, Otolaryngologist, Pathologist, Pediatrician, Periodontic, Plastic Surgeon, Pulmonologist, Radiologist, Rheumatologist, Urologist, Psychiatrist, Thoracic Surgeon, Surgeon and Emergency Room Physician. The term of any resulting contract(s) will be from September 01, 2007 or date of execution by DSHS whichever date is later through August 31, 2009 with an option to extend the contract for up to three (3) additional one-(1) year terms. Multiple awards may be accomplished with this solicitation. DSHS is also seeking to contract with other qualified professionals, as listed in the Statement of Work, General Information section. The intent of this solicitation is to contract directly with the licensed professional and not through a third party.
CFDA: none
CONTACT: Van Newberry, (325) 795-3451, fax: (325) 795-3720, e-mail: van.newberry@hhsc.state.tx.us.
From Electronic State Business Daily, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) community health services


Private Funding Opportunities

Public Welfare Foundation Grants
SOURCE: Public Welfare Foundation
APPLICATION DEADLINE: There are no special deadlines for grant applications at this time. Requests for new funding may be submitted at any time during the year.
$ AVAILABLE: $20.2 million total for grants averaging $48,800.
ELIGIBILITY: The Public Welfare Foundation supports organizations that address human needs in disadvantaged communities. Government agencies are generally not funded.
PURPOSE: The Foundation's grantmaking supports strategic advocacy that aims to transform public policy at the local, state, and national levels. The Foundation enables people to play leading roles in remedying the problems they confront in their neighborhoods and communities. At its July 2007 meeting, the Board of Directors decided that to increase the impact of their grantmaking, the Foundation should focus on three key priorities: criminal and juvenile justice, health reform, and workers’ rights. Some aspects of existing programs are being incorporated into these new, expanded programs. They anticipate issuing new program guidelines in late fall, 2007.
CONTACT: For more information see http://www.publicwelfare.org/index_files/apply.htm or for additional information regarding the application process, e-mail: reviewcommitee@publicwelfare.org.
From PWF website, accessed 7/23/07icon
Subject(s) criminal justice/correctional, health policy research


Events

Managing Conflict 101: What Every Team Member Needs to Know
SPONSOR: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success
WHEN: August 2, 8:30 am to noon.
WHERE: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success, 1301 West 25th Street, Suite 400, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: “Conflict is inevitable.” “Conflicts are good.” “Conflicts are easily resolved.” “Conflicts are bad.” These are some ideas about conflict. They justly illustrate the various ideas and feelings about conflict. In this workshop we’ll examine what conflict is, how it impacts your organization, and present proven steps to help you in handling conflict instead of conflict handling you. We’ll look at various points of view about conflict, including determining individual preference conflict style, and understanding negotiation.
COST: $85 for members / $115 for nonmembers.
CONTACT: Drew Watson, (512) 477-5955 ext. 247, e-mail: watsond@greenlights.org.
From Greenlights for Nonprofit Success Web site, accessed 7/18/07icon

Successful Silent and Live Auctions: Don’t Leave Money on the Table
SPONSOR: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success
WHEN: August 7, 8:30 am to noon.
WHERE: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success, 1301 West 25th Street, Suite 400, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: Successful auctions involve both art and science. A well-organized and orchestrated benefit auction is one of the most efficient and fun methods of raising big dollars for your organization. Join Gayle Stallings, Chief Executive FUNraiser and Benefit Auctioneer Specialist with FUNauctions, as she leads you though proven methods for increasing revenue at your silent or live auction. Examine the strategies and best practices you can use immediately to get the most out of your next benefit auction. Learn how to solicit and manage your donations, what items sells the best, structuring the evening’s events and achieve your financial goals.
COST: $85 for members / $115 for nonmembers.
CONTACT: Drew Watson, (512) 477-5955 ext. 247, e-mail: watsond@greenlights.org.
From Greenlights for Nonprofit Success Web site, accessed 7/18/07icon

ED 101: Fast Track Training for Emerging Executive Directors
SPONSOR: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success
WHEN: August 15-17, 8:30 am to 5 pm.
WHERE: Greenlights for Nonprofit Success, 1301 West 25th Street, Suite 400, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: This series is an intensive three-session program for Executive Directors who have been in their position less than three years and are looking for fast-track training on skill development. We’ll focus on leadership, management, working with the board, fundraising, planning, marketing, policies, legal issues, financial management, human resources, and change management. Be part of a group of leaders who are there to strengthen their skills and address their own organizational issues through problem-solving exercises, role-play, presentation, discussion. You’ll receive a sourcebook of information resources, and some of the best nonprofit experts around will share their stories, tools and insights. Walk away with practical materials and strategies to use immediately in your own organization.
COST: $365 for members / $450 for nonmembers.
CONTACT: Drew Watson, (512) 477-5955 ext. 247, e-mail: watsond@greenlights.org.
From Greenlights for Nonprofit Success Web site, accessed 7/18/07icon

NIH Regional Seminar in Program Funding and Grants Administration
SPONSOR: University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
WHEN: March 25-26, 2008.
WHERE: Grand Hyatt (San Antonio, TX).
DESCRIPTION: The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is hosting the March 2008 Regional Seminar on Program Funding and Grants Administration on behalf of the National Institutes of Health, Office of Extramural Research (OER). The regional seminar is intended to help demystify the application and review process, clarify Federal regulations and policies, and highlight current areas of special interest or concern. The seminar serves the NIH mission of providing education and training for the next generation of biomedical and behavioral scientists. NIH policy officials, grants management and program staff, as well as representatives from Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) and Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW), will provide a broad array of expertise and encourage personal interaction between themselves and seminar participants. The seminars are appropriate for grants administrators, new and experienced researchers, and graduate students. NIH electronic research administration computer labs are offered March 27.
COST: To be determined.
CONTACT: Watch the website at http://www.uthscsa.edu/ogm/nih_seminar.htm for further details. For questions regarding logistics or registration, please contact Jane Youngers at nihseminar@uthscsa.edu or (210) 567-2340. Questions regarding the agenda may be addressed to Cynthia Dwyer at Dwyerc@mail.nih.gov.
From NIH Web site, accessed 7/23/07icon


arrowReturn to Alert

Last updated July 24, 2007

Contact Us | Compact with Texans | Homeland Security | Internet Policy | Site Map | Statewide Search | Texas Online