Texas Department of State Health Services Home


   

Find Services | News & Information | Rules & Regulations | Business Information 
 (Buscar)

iconFunding Alert Vol. 18 No. 2 Alert #2 - February 13, 2007

Texas Department of State Health Services icon Funding Information Center - Library icon 1100 W. 49th Street, Mail Code 1955 icon Austin, TX 78756-3199 icon Toll free: 1-888-963-7111 ext. 7684 icon Austin phone: (512) 458-7684 icon Fax: (512) 458-7683


The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Alert is published weekly.  If you wish to subscribe to the Funding Information Center Funding Alert and other services, please call (512) 458-7684 or fill out our online subscription form which can be found at: https://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/fic/subscribe.htm.  Information in the Funding Alert is not copyrighted and may be reproduced. The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Information Center would appreciate credit for the material used and a copy of the reprint. For information on viewing Adobe Acrobat .pdf and other files, see file viewing information.

Disclaimer: External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to persons with disabilities. External e-mail links are provided to you as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are not e-mailing the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and DSHS policies do not apply should you choose to correspond.


Funding News and Grant Tips

Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Launches Global Health Data Website
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) has launched http://www.globalhealthfacts.org — a new website providing free, up-to-date and easy-to-access data by country on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and other key health and socio-economic indicators. The data are displayed in tables, charts, and color-coded maps that can be downloaded for custom analyses. The new site was developed as a companion to http://www.GlobalHealthReporting.org.
From The Texas HIV/STD E-Update e-mail, 2/6/07icon


Public Funding Opportunities

Adopting and Demonstrating the Adaptation of Prevention Techniques for Persons at Highest Risk of Acquiring or Transmitting Human Immunodeficiency Virus (ADAPT 2) - (UR6): RFA-PS-07-004
SOURCE: National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHSTP)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 2/28/07. Application: 3/30/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $1 million for three to four awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public and private nonprofit organizations; for profit organizations; small, minority, and women-owned businesses; universities; colleges; research institutions; hospitals; community-based organizations; faith-based organizations; federally recognized Indian tribal governments; Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized); Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations; and state and local governments.
PURPOSE: This funding opportunity will support research in the United States to determine the efficacy of adapted evidence-based behavioral interventions (EBIs).
CFDA: 93.941
CONTACT: Trudy Messmer, (404) 639-2176, fax: (404) 639-2469, e-mail: TMessmer@cdc.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-PS-07-004.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 2/9/07icon
Subject(s) HIV/AIDS research

Behavioral Assessments and Rapid HIV Testing among African American Adolescents and Adults, Men Who Have Sex with Men, and Other Groups at Risk for HIV Infection (U62): RFA-PS-07-001
SOURCE: National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHSTP/CDC)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 3/2/07. Application: 4/3/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $250,000 for one award.
ELIGIBILITY: Public and private nonprofit organizations; for profit organizations; small, minority, and women-owned businesses; universities; colleges; research institutions; hospitals; community-based organizations; faith-based organizations; federally recognized Indian tribal governments; Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized); Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations; and state and local governments.
PURPOSE: This funding opportunity announcement (FOA) solicits cooperative agreement applications from institutions that propose to support rapid HIV testing and/or behavioral assessments at a variety of events including gay pride events in cities not participating in the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) system, minority gay pride events, black college spring break events, and large social or cultural events that attract large numbers of African Americans. Persons identified with HIV infection are then linked to health care and supportive services.
CFDA: 93.941
CONTACT: Trudy Messmer, (404) 639-2176, fax: (404) 639-2469, e-mail: TMessmer@cdc.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-PS-07-001.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 2/9/07icon
Subject(s) HIV/AIDS education/prevention, HIV/AIDS services, HIV/AIDS research, minority health

Drug Abuse, Risky Decision Making and HIV/AIDS (R01): PAS-07-324
(This is a companion grant to PAS-07-325 and PAS-07-326.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/5, 6/5, 10/5. Expires 1/3/10.
$ AVAILABLE: $2 million for up to 25 awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This program announcement is intended to stimulate model driven research that will increase understanding of how drugs of abuse or processes of addiction influence decisions about high risk sexual behavior, thereby enhancing vulnerability for acquiring or transmitting HIV.
CFDA: 93.279
CONTACT: Minda Lynch, (301) 435-1322, fax: (301) 594-6043, e-mail: mlynch1@nida.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAS-07-324.html
From Grant.gov Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, HIV/AIDS research

Drug Abuse, Risky Decision Making and HIV/AIDS (R21): PAS-07-325
(This is a companion grant to PAS-07-324 and PAS-07-326.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 1/3/10.
$ AVAILABLE: $2 million for up to 25 awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This program announcement is intended to stimulate exploratory and developmental research that will increase understanding of how drugs of abuse or processes of addiction influence decisions about high risk sexual behavior, thereby enhancing vulnerability for acquiring or transmitting HIV.
CFDA: 93.279
CONTACT: Minda Lynch, (301) 435-1322, fax: (301) 594-6043, e-mail: mlynch1@nida.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAS-07-325.html
From Grant.gov Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, HIV/AIDS research

Drug Abuse, Risky Decision Making and HIV/AIDS (R03): PAS-07-326
(This is a companion grant to PAS-07-324 and PAS-07-325.)
SOURCE: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2/16, 6/16, 10/16. Expires 1/3/10.
$ AVAILABLE: $2 million for up to 25 awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement is intended to stimulate small scale, pilot research that will increase understanding of how drugs of abuse or processes of addiction influence decisions about high risk sexual behavior, thereby enhancing vulnerability for acquiring or transmitting HIV.
CFDA: 93.279
CONTACT: Minda Lynch, (301) 435-1322, fax: (301) 594-6043, e-mail: mlynch1@nida.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAS-07-326.html
From Grant.gov Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) substance abuse research, HIV/AIDS research

Medically Underserved Community-State Matching Incentive Program
SOURCE: Texas Office of Rural Community Affairs (ORCA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5/31/07.
$ AVAILABLE: The maximum award is $25,000. The community must match the contribution by ORCA.
ELIGIBILITY: Rural Texas communities are eligible with the following:
• Be in a Medically Underserved Area (see MUAs in Texas or Health Professional Shortage Area in Texas) as determined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services or the Texas Department of State Health Services.
• Exist in perpetuity as a nonprofit entity governed by council members, commissioners, or a board of trustees;
• Make a commitment of at least $15,000 in contributions toward the project;
• Contract with a physician eligible to participate in the project. An eligible physician includes those in family/general practice, general internal medicine, general obstetrics/gynecology, or general pediatrics. The physician must be licensed to practice in the state of Texas, have completed an accredited residency program; and have contracted with the community to provide full-time primary care for at least two years.
PURPOSE: The purpose is to increase the number of primary care physicians practicing in rural medically underserved communities.
CFDA: none
CONTACT: Texas Office of Rural Community Affairs (ORCA), (512) 936-6701, (800) 544-2042. For more information see http://www.orca.state.tx.us/index.php/Rural+Health/Grant+Fact+Sheets/Medically+Underserved+Community-State+Matching+Incentive+Program
From ORCA Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) rural health

Rapid HIV Testing in Community Mental Health Settings serving African Americans (U18): RFA-PS-07-005
SOURCE: National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHSTP/CDC)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 3/1/07. Application: 4/2/07.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards issued under this announcement are contingent upon the availability of funds and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
ELIGIBILITY: Public and private nonprofit organizations; for-profit organizations; small, minority, and women-owned businesses; universities; colleges; research institutions; hospitals; community-based organizations; faith-based organizations; and state and local governments.
PURPOSE: This funding opportunity announcement (FOA) solicits cooperative agreement applications from organizations that propose to demonstrate increased HIV testing and improved linkage to care for HIV-infected persons of color in community mental health settings.
CFDA: 93.941
CONTACT: Trudy Messmer, (404) 639-2176, fax: (404) 639-2469, e-mail: TMessmer@cdc.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-PS-07-005.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 2/9/07icon
Subject(s) HIV/AIDS services, minority health

Rural Communities Healthcare Investment Program (RCHIP)
SOURCE: Texas Office of Rural Community Affairs (ORCA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 3/3/07.
$ AVAILABLE: Awards depend on the number and quality received.
ELIGIBILITY: Please see URL for eligibility requirements.
PURPOSE: The Rural Communities Healthcare Investment Program (RCHIP) is a state-funded program for health professionals who practice in qualifying medically underserved counties in Texas or a health professional shortage community.
CFDA: none
CONTACT: Brenda Copas, (940) 553-3556, fax: (940) 553-3560. For more information see http://www.orca.state.tx.us/pdfs/RCHIP_APPLICATION_2005_2006.pdf
From ORCA Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) rural health

Rural Physician Assistant Loan Reimbursement Program
SOURCE: Texas Office of Rural Community Affairs (ORCA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 6/30/07.
$ AVAILABLE: The maximum annual award will not exceed $5,000. No individual may receive more than $20,000 for four 12-month periods of service. Payments will be co-made to the recipient and the eligible lender of the educational loan. Applications for loan reimbursement must be renewed annually.
ELIGIBILITY: To apply to the Texas Rural Physician Assistant Loan Reimbursement Program (PALRP), a physician assistant must:
* Be a graduate of an accredited physician assistant training program within 10 years prior to the date of application;
* Have worked for at least 12 consecutive months prior to application as a physician assistant in a rural Texas county designated as a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or a Medically Underserved Area (MUA) as designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services;
* Owe amounts for qualifying educational loans for receiving a post-secondary education;
* Be a physician assistant in good standing and licensed to practice as a physician assistant in Texas by the Texas State Board of Physician Assistant Examiners of the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners; and
* Have passed the certifying examination administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
* Not be receiving loan repayment assistance from any other programs administered by the Office of Rural Community Affairs.
PURPOSE: The Rural Physician Assistant Loan Repayment Program provides loan reimbursement to physician assistants who practice in qualifying areas of rural Texas. The program encourages qualified physician assistants to practice in areas of rural Texas in which there is a shortage of primary healthcare providers. Applicants practicing in areas with the highest degree of shortage of healthcare professionals and/or the lowest Index of Medically Underserved (IMU) score are given higher priority for selection.
CFDA: none
CONTACT: Brenda Copas, (940) 553-3556, fax: (940) 553-3560. For more information see http://www.orca.state.tx.us/index.php/Rural+Health/Grant+Fact+Sheets/Rural+Physician+Assistant+Loan+Reimbursement+Program
From ORCA Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon
Subject(s) rural health


Private Funding Opportunities

Building the Evidence: The Impact of Diabetes Educator Interventions on Self-Care Behaviors of Diabetes and Related Conditions: RFA 0100-06
SOURCE: American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7/1/07.
$ AVAILABLE: Funding will support two, two-year research grants each in the amount of $172,000.
ELIGIBILITY: AADE makes awards to the sponsoring institution, not the principal investigator. Applications will only be accepted from institutions or organizations residing in the United States or its territories. The principal investigator must be employed by the sponsoring institution. The principal investigator must be a current active member of AADE at the time of application and membership must be maintained during the course of the grant. The applicant shall have demonstrated expertise and productivity in the field of diabetes care and education through publication, previous research funding, training, and/or national recognition for completion of research. The applicant also must have access to patient population and programs or sites where diabetes education is delivered.
PURPOSE: This announcement seeks applications using innovative approaches to examine the efficacy of diabetes educator interventions for improving self-care behavior in managing T1D or T2D or a related condition. Self-care behaviors should be one or more of the seven AADE Behavioral Outcomes: healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medications, problem solving, healthy coping, and reducing risks.
CONTACT: Executive and Board Manager, AADE, 100 W. Monroe Street, Suite 400, Chicago, IL 60603. (312) 601-4803, fax: (312) 424-2427, e-mail: mlechowicz@aadenet.org. For more information see http://www.diabeteseducator.org/AboutUs/rfa.shtml
From The Foundation Center's Philanthropy News Digest Web site, accessed 2/9/07icon
Subject(s) diabetes, medical research


Events

Effective Grant Writing
SPONSOR: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College (ACC CCBNO)
WHEN: February 21, 9 am to 4 pm.
WHERE: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: A one-day complete “nuts and bolts” guide to grant proposal development and management of critical proposal development processes. Participants will develop a detailed outline of a full grant proposal and develop logical and compelling narrative and spreadsheets in the challenging sections of needs assessments, objectives, evaluation and budget. Participants will also develop strategies for researching, cultivating, communicating, and building partnerships with foundation, corporation, and government funders. Additionally, the workshop will cover “important yet rarely-discussed” topics such as writing and editing styles, expectations and measurement of a successful grant writing program, the relationship of grants to overall organizational fundraising, the role of management and volunteer leadership in grant-development initiatives, and organizational team-building to support grant proposal development. Comprehensive handouts and online resources are provided.
COST: $75.
CONTACT: Kelly Wagner, (512) 223-7111, e-mail: kwagner@austincc.edu.
From Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College e-mail, 2/2/07icon

Beyond the Basics: the Long & Short of Volunteer Management
SPONSOR: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College (ACC CCBNO)
WHEN: February 14-15, 9 am to 4 pm.
WHERE: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: This is a two-day survey course designed to help volunteer management professionals explore topics of key importance to effective program management in a rapidly changing environment.
COST: $150. ($100 for attendees of January's "The Basics".)
CONTACT: Kelly Wagner, (512) 223-7111, e-mail: kwagner@austincc.edu.
From Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College e-mail, 2/2/07icon

Effective Media Strategies for Legislative Advocacy
SPONSOR: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College (ACC CCBNO)
WHEN: February 15, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
WHERE: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: Led by Tamara Bell, Bell Media Group, this course shows why your nonprofit needs media exposure to grow.
COST: Fee of $60 includes lunch and materials.
CONTACT: Kelly Wagner, (512) 223-7111, e-mail: kwagner@austincc.edu.
From Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College e-mail, 2/2/07icon

Audio Conference -- Confronting the Elephants in the Room: How to Become an Exceptional Nonprofit
SPONSOR: Austin Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and the Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College (ACC CCBNO)
WHEN: February 20, noon to 1:30 pm.
WHERE: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College, 5930 Middle Fiskville Road, (Austin, TX). The session can only be accessed at ACC's listening facility.
DESCRIPTION: Nonprofits have great board members and great staff. Then why is it so difficult to champion lasting, positive change and implement innovative new programs? Discover the unspoken attitudes and outdated mindset that keep board and CEO, volunteer and staff busy doing everything but mission work.
COST: Free. (A $145 value.)
CONTACT: Kelly Wagner, (512) 223-7111, e-mail: kwagner@austincc.edu.
From Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College e-mail, 2/2/07icon

Communicating Within, Through, and About Your Organization
SPONSOR: Center for Nonprofit Management
WHEN: February 21, 9 am to noon.
WHERE: Center for Community Cooperation, 2900 Live Oak, (Dallas, TX).
DESCRIPTION: How well is your organization communicating? With whom do you communicate, both internally and externally? How do you communicate? This hands-on workshop will explore the ever-changing world of internal and external communications and help us develop sound strategies with which to communicate effectively and efficiently to others who we are and what we do. We will look at a variety of communication vehicles, from newsletters and annual reports to press releases and web sites. What makes them effective and how can we use them to advance our missions? We will also examine a variety of audiences, from existing and potential partners to the local media and Capital Hill.
COST: $60 members / $90 non-members.
CONTACT: Demesha Cornelius, (214) 826-3470 ext. 239, e-mail: cornelius@cnmdallas.org.
From Center for Nonprofit Management Web site, accessed 2/7/07icon

National HIV Prevention Conference
SPONSOR: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
WHEN: December 2-5.
WHERE: Hyatt Regency Atlanta and the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, (Atlanta, GA).
DESCRIPTION: This unique conference covers the entire spectrum of HIV prevention, from science to programs. It convenes HIV prevention experts and advocates from various backgrounds and communities nationwide.
Numerous governmental and non-governmental organizations have committed their support to the 2007 National HIV Prevention Conference because it offers opportunities to:
* Share effective prevention approaches and research findings among governmental, community, and academic partners in HIV prevention.
* Strengthen collaborations between program practitioners and researchers in areas including behavioral interventions, biomedical interventions, monitoring the epidemic, implementing rapid and reliable tests for early HIV diagnosis, and improving access to early treatment and prevention services for persons with HIV.
COST: $350 - $450.
CONTACT: For more information call (800) 772-8232.
From The Texas HIV/STD E-Update e-mail, 2/6/07icon


arrowReturn to Alert

Last updated February 12, 2007

Contact Us | Compact with Texans | Homeland Security | Internet Policy | Site Map | Statewide Search | Texas Online