Texas Department of State Health Services Home


   

Find Services | News & Information | Rules & Regulations | Business Information 
 (Buscar)

iconFunding Alert Vol. 18 No. 4 Alert #3 - April 17, 2007

Texas Department of State Health Services icon Funding Information Center - Library icon 1100 W. 49th Street, Mail Code 1955 icon Austin, TX 78756-3199 icon Toll free: 1-888-963-7111 ext. 7684 icon Austin phone: (512) 458-7684 icon Fax: (512) 458-7683


The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Alert is published weekly.  If you wish to subscribe to the Funding Information Center Funding Alert and other services, please call (512) 458-7684 or fill out our online subscription form which can be found at: https://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/fic/subscribe.htm.  Information in the Funding Alert is not copyrighted and may be reproduced. The Texas Department of State Health Services Funding Information Center would appreciate credit for the material used and a copy of the reprint. For information on viewing Adobe Acrobat .pdf and other files, see file viewing information.

Disclaimer: External links to other sites are intended to be informational and do not have the endorsement of the Department of State Health Services. These sites may also not be accessible to persons with disabilities. External e-mail links are provided to you as a courtesy. Please be advised that you are not e-mailing the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and DSHS policies do not apply should you choose to correspond.


Funding News and Grant Tips

AT&T Excelerator Grant Program for Nonprofits
The 2007 AT&T Excelerator grant program will provide a total of $9 million in competitive technology grants to help local nonprofit organizations integrate technology into their operations and community outreach. AT&T Excelerator grants are designed to help nonprofit organizations improve their operations and build stronger communities through Internet access, data networking, online outreach, staff technology capacity, and pooled technology resources. For 2007, the grant program will be open to nonprofit organizations in 22 states, including Texas.
To qualify for this grant, an organization must emphasize education, community development, health and human services, or arts and culture. Grant funds may be used for data communications services, hardware, software, technology training, personnel, and application development. At least 50 percent of project funding must be used to target underserved populations, including low income populations, seniors, racial and ethnic groups, and disabled persons. Grants to single organizations will range from $2,500 to $25,000 each. Collaborations by two or more organizations will be considered for grants up to $50,000. The period of performance for all projects is one-year.
From National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region Blogadillo e-mail, 7/10/07icon


Public Funding Opportunities

Geriatric Education Centers: HRSA-07-108
SOURCE: Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5/14/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $17.2 million for 50 awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Grants may be made to entities as defined by sections 799B(1), (3) and (4) and section 801(2) of the Public Health Service Act. These include, among others: schools of medicine; schools of dentistry, schools of osteopathic medicine, schools of pharmacy, schools of optometry; schools of podiatric medicine; schools of veterinary medicine; schools of public health; schools of chiropractic; graduate programs in clinical psychology, clinical social work, health administration, and behavioral health and mental health practice; programs for the training of physician assistants; schools of allied health; and schools of nursing.
PURPOSE: Grants are available to support the development of Geriatric Education Centers. Collaborative arrangements involving several health professions schools and health care facilities to train health professional faculty, students, and practitioners in the diagnosis, treatment, prevention of disease, disability, and other health problems of the elderly. Applicants must propose to carry out all of the following statutory purposes: improve the training of health professionals in geriatrics, including geriatric residencies, traineeships or fellowships; develop and disseminate curricula relating to the treatment of the health problems of elderly individuals; support the training and retraining of faculty to provide instruction in geriatrics; support continuing education of health professionals who provide geriatric care; and provide students with clinical training in geriatrics in nursing homes, chronic and acute disease hospitals, ambulatory care centers, and senior centers.
CFDA: 93.969
CONTACT: Lou Coccodrilli, (301) 443-7774, e-mail: Lcoccodrilli@hrsa.gov. For more information see https://grants.hrsa.gov/webExternal/SFO.asp?ID=6518E3E7-C6FF-4CC1-A1FD-7BDBBED7425D
From Grants.gov e-mail, 4/10/07icon
Subject(s) aged/seniors, health professions training

Pharmacological Approaches to Combating Antimicrobial Resistance (R01): RFA-AI-07-025
SOURCE: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 9/18/07. Application: 10/18/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $3 million for five to eight awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement invites Research Project Grant (R01) applications from institutions/organizations that propose to apply pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic principles to studies on the prevention of emergence of antimicrobial drug resistance.
CFDA: 93.856
CONTACT: Christine F. Sizemore, (301) 435-2857, fax: (301) 496-8030, e-mail: csizemore@niaid.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AI-07-025.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 4/12/07icon
Subject(s) medical research, public health

Prevention of Trauma Related Adjustment and Mental Disorders in High-Risk Occupations (R01): RFA-MH-08-010
(This is a companion grant to RFA-MH-08-011.)
SOURCE: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 7/23/07, 2/24/08, 10/21/08. Application: 8/23/07, 3/24/08, 11/21/08.
$ AVAILABLE: $1.6 million for four to six awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement solicits research grant applications from institutions/organizations that propose to further the state of science regarding selective prevention approaches prior to trauma exposure for members of high-risk occupations, i.e., civilian employees and military personnel who regularly encounter traumatic situations.
CFDA: 93.242
CONTACT: Farris K. Tuma, (301) 443-3648, e-mail: ftuma@nih.gov or Robert Heinssen, (301) 435-0371, e-mail: rheinsse@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-MH-08-010.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 4/12/07icon
Subject(s) medical research, occupational safety/health, mental health

Prevention of Trauma Related Adjustment and Mental Disorders in High-Risk Occupations (R34): RFA-MH-08-011
(This is a companion grant to RFA-MH-08-010.)
SOURCE: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Letter of Intent: 7/23/07, 2/24/08, 10/21/08. Application: 8/23/07, 3/24/08, 11/21/08.
$ AVAILABLE: $1.6 million for four to six awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public/state/private controlled institutions of higher education, nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) IRS status (other than institutions of higher education), small businesses, for-profit organizations (other than small businesses), state governments, U.S. territories or possessions, Indian/Native American tribal government (federally recognized and other than federally recognized), Indian/Native American tribally designated organizations, non-domestic (non-U.S.) entities, Hispanic-serving institutions, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Tribally Controlled Colleges and Universities (TCCUs), Alaska native and native Hawaiian serving institutions, regional organizations, eligible agencies of the federal government, and faith-based or community-based organizations.
PURPOSE: This announcement solicits research grant applications from institutions/organizations that propose to further the state of science regarding selective prevention approaches prior to trauma exposure for members of high-risk occupations, i.e., civilian employees and military personnel who regularly encounter traumatic situations.
CFDA: 93.242
CONTACT: Farris K. Tuma, (301) 443-3648, e-mail: ftuma@nih.gov or Robert Heinssen, (301) 435-0371, e-mail: rheinsse@mail.nih.gov. For more information see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-MH-08-011.html
From NIH Web site, accessed 4/12/07icon
Subject(s) medical research, occupational safety/health, mental health

USDA Rural Development Distance Learning & Telemedicine Grant Program: RDUP-07-01-DLT
SOURCE: U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 6/11/07.
$ AVAILABLE: $15 million for 75 awards.
ELIGIBILITY: Public and state controlled institutions of higher education; nonprofits that do or do not have a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education; independent school districts; special district governments; county governments; for-profit organizations other than small businesses; small businesses; public housing authorities/Indian housing authorities; Native American tribal governments (federally recognized); city or township governments; state governments; private institutions of higher education; and Native American tribal organizations (other than federally recognized tribal governments)
PURPOSE: The Distance Learning and Telemedicine (DLT) Program is specifically designed to meet the educational and health care needs of rural America through the use of advanced telecommunications technologies. In the program, the focus is primarily on funding user equipment that operates via telecommunications to connect students and teachers or medical providers and patients at separate locations.
CFDA: 10.855
CONTACT: David Noll, (202) 720-0413, e-mail: david.noll@wdc.usda.gov or Gary Allan, (202) 720-0413. e-mail: gary.allan@wdc.usda.gov. For more information see http://www.usda.gov/rus/telecom/dlt/dlt.htm
From USDA Web site, accessed 4/12/07icon
Subject(s) rural health, technology


Private Funding Opportunities

Helping Hands Grant Program
SOURCE: American Psychiatric Foundation
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5/1/07.
$ AVAILABLE: Grants of up to $5,000 will be provided to medical schools for community mental health service projects that are initiated and managed by medical students.
ELIGIBILITY: Medical schools are eligible to apply for a grant.
PURPOSE: The Helping Hands Grant Program was established by the American Psychiatric Foundation to encourage medical students to participate in community mental health service activities, particularly those focused on underserved populations. The program seeks to raise awareness of mental illness and the importance of early recognition, and builds an interest among medical students in psychiatry and working in underserved communities.
CONTACT: Barbara Matos, (703) 907-8517. For more information see http://www.psychfoundation.org/pubs/OtsukaAPFfinal.pdf
From The Foundation Center's Philanthropy News Digest Web site, accessed 4/11/07icon
Subject(s) mental health, community health services, minority health


Events

Conference on Nonprofit Risk Management Essentials
SPONSOR: Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College (CCBNO ACC) and Texas Association of Nonprofit Organizations (TANO)
WHEN: May 10, 9 am to 5 pm.
WHERE: Norris Conference Center, 2525 West Anderson Lane & Burnet Road in North Cross Mall, (Austin, TX).
DESCRIPTION: The one-day conference is designed to help nonprofit leaders effectively integrate sound finance and risk management principles into day-to-day operations. You'll learn what steps are needed to achieve a greater measure of accountability and harness practical tools to strengthen your mission. The conference offers a time and place for the sharing of ideas, the opportunity to acquire information for informed decision-making and a welcoming environment for champions of effective financial management in the nonprofit sector. The conference is designed for nonprofit CFOs, finance professionals, CEOs, program managers, board members, department heads and professional advisors serving nonprofit organizations. Veteran nonprofit professionals, as well as new managers, will feel at home at this challenging, information-packed educational event.
COST: $100 for members of TANO and $90 for second representative from a TANO member agency. $150 for first representative of other nonprofit organizations with each additional representative $140. $200 for private sector participants. Fee includes breakfast, lunch, and course materials.
CONTACT: Kelly Wagner, (512) 223-7111, e-mail: kwagner@austincc.edu.
From Center for Community-Based & Nonprofit Organizations at Austin Community College and Texas Association of Nonprofit Organizations e-mail, 4/12/07icon

Grant Writing Workshop
SPONSOR: North Central Texas Council of Governments and Grant Writing USA
WHEN: June 21-22.
WHERE: Arlington, TX.
DESCRIPTION: This workshop is suitable for beginning and experienced grant writers who desire to increase their fundraising competitiveness and broaden their funder focus.
COST: $425. Includes the workbook and accompanying 220MB resource CD with more than 200 sample grant proposals.
CONTACT: Cathy Rittenhouse, Grant Writing USA, (800) 814-8191, e-mail: cathy@grantwritingusa.com.
From Grant Writing USA e-mail, 4/10/07icon

To Be or Not to Be a 501(c)(3), Part 1 – Pulling It All Together - Nonprofit Start Up Series
SPONSOR: Center for Nonprofit Management
WHEN: May 1, 9 am to noon.
WHERE: Center for Nonprofit Management, 2902 Floyd Street, (Dallas, TX).
DESCRIPTION: Does your dream of providing a needed community service "have legs"? Do you know what steps to take to start a nonprofit organization? This session for potential nonprofit founders provides information to take you step-by-step through the thinking, planning, and arranging that have to occur before applying to become a 501(c)(3).
COST: $55. No discount or non-member increase applies to this class only.
CONTACT: Demesha Cornelius, (214) 826-3470 ext. 239, e-mail: cornelius@cnmdallas.org.
From Center for Nonprofit Management e-mail, 4/11/07icon

Grantseeking 1: Navigating the Proposal Process
SPONSOR: Center for Nonprofit Management
WHEN: May 2, 9 am to 12:30 pm.
WHERE: Center for Nonprofit Management, 2902 Floyd Street, (Dallas, TX).
DESCRIPTION: Grantseeking 1 is one of the Center’s most popular workshops, valuable for both beginners and for people who would like to review the fundamentals of seeking grants. This practical class covers how to prepare to seek grants, types of foundations and grants, and the basics of public and private sector research and grant seeking.
COST: $60 members / $90 non-members.
CONTACT: Demesha Cornelius, (214) 826-3470 ext. 239, e-mail: cornelius@cnmdallas.org.
From Center for Nonprofit Management e-mail, 4/11/07icon


arrowReturn to Alert

Last updated April 16, 2007

Contact Us | Compact with Texans | Homeland Security | Internet Policy | Site Map | Statewide Search | Texas Online