[NIFL-ESL:10627] Re: Defending Workplace ESL

From: Miriam Burt (miriam@cal.org)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 17:18:08 EST

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:18:08 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10627] Re: Defending Workplace ESL

Peter and all:

Last fall (2003),I did a review of the research on outcomes that
employers look for when they sponsor ESL classes at their worksites.
What Alejandro, Ann, Ronna, Tracy, Susan, Laurie, et al. have said is
all borne out by what I found:

English language ability is related to higher wages and more stable
employment, yet little training is currently offered to immigrants at
the workplace. When it is offered at a worksite, it is often not offered
again after the initial classes have been completed. Why?

Issues in providing (and not providing!) this instruction include
unrealistic expectations both of what can be learned in a short
workplace class and how quickly language and cultural behaviors can and
should be changed; difficulties in defining and assessing outcomes;
improper assignation of English deficiencies as being the reason for all
workplace performance problems; and a lack of value placed on the
instruction by companies and workers alike.

I wrote a 4-page synthesis of my findings, and included a bibliography
of the sources I consulted. The synthesis also includes a few
suggestions for educators wanting to start up ESL classes at the
workplace. The document, "Issues in Improving Immigrant Workers' English
Language Skills" can be downloaded at
http://www.cal.org/caela/digests/Workplaceissues.htm

Good luck, Peter!

Miriam Burt