[NIFL-ESL:10607] RE: ESL learners and health

From: Miriam Burt (miriam@cal.org)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 17:47:12 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:47:12 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10607] RE: ESL learners and health

Kate (and others):

There is a new report (August 2004) from Educational Testing Service
(ETS) that looks at info from the National Adult Literacy Survey
(NALS)and the International Adult Literacy Survey (IALS) and
"identifies...the health-related literacy skills of U.S. adults and
finds marked differences among adults based on their education, age,
wealth, and country of birth." The report is call "Literacy and Health
in America" and it's written by Rima Rudd of the Harvard School of
Public Health, and Irwin Kirsch and Kentaro Yamamoto of ETS. The authors
have created a Health Activities Literacy Scale (HALS) that identifies
and places health-related skills on a scale composed of 5 levels of
health literacy.

You can download the report at the ETS Web site at www.ets.lrg/research

Miriam
Miriam Burt
Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (CAELA)
Center for Applied Linguistics
Washington, DC