[NIFL-ESL:10454] Call for articles for Change Agent

From: Andy Nash (andy_nash@worlded.org)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 13:13:36 EDT

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:13:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andy Nash" <andy_nash@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10454] Call for articles for Change Agent

The Change Agent, a newspaper for adult educators about teaching for social justice, is calling for articles for its next issue on the theme of "transitions." Here's the description:

Adult Learners and Educators: In this issue we want to hear and learn from people who have made successful transitions, and overcome obstacles. We also want to hear and learn from teachers and counselors and other program staff who assist students in this process. We are looking for student writings, lessons, activities and reflections addressing the theme of educational and life transitions such as from GED to post-secondary education or training, from incarceration to community, from public assistance to economic independence, from country of origin to the USA, and from one stage of life to another.
Questions for students and teachers to think about:
*	If you yourself decided to make a transition, what motivated you to do it?
*	What was your life like before, during and after the transition? What have you learned through this experience?
*	What issues have come up for you during the transition? How were they resolved?
*	What social programs and supports helped you or hindered you during the transition?
*	What teaching or counseling strategies and resources have been helpful?
*	What could an adult education program do to best facilitate students' transitions and help them take the next step? What advice would you give to adult learners who want to make life changes?

All articles must be received by November 12, 2004. All articles will be considered. Suggested length is 500-1,200 words. Final decisions are made by The Change Agent editorial board. A stipend of $50 will be paid to each student whose work is accepted for publication in this issue.

Please send material (by email or PC disk) to:
 Angela Orlando, Editor
New England Literacy Resource Center/World Education
44 Farnsworth St., Boston, MA 02210
Phone: 617-482-9485 fax: 617-482-0617
email: angela_orlando@worlded.org