[NIFL-ESL:10430] Re: bilingual approach to teach ESOL

From: Aaron Kohring (akohring@utk.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 10:10:07 EDT

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:10:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Aaron  Kohring <akohring@utk.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10430] Re: bilingual approach to teach ESOL

Another useful guide is "Learner English: A teacher's guide to interference
and other problems" by Swan & Smith

Aaron

At 07:02 AM 8/27/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Pax et bonum all! (peace & goodness)
>
>I agree that it is useful (but not mandatory) to have some understanding of
>the L1 to teach ESL. To that end, does anyone know of a "clearing house" of
>trouble spots for different languages, regarding pronunciation, grammar, or
>common affective filters?
>
>If not, would anyone like to cooperate to build such an animal?
>
>I myself have a very diverse classroom.
>
>Ciao!
>Martin E. Senger
>GECAC Adult Instructor
>Erie, PA

Aaron Kohring

EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
University of Tennessee, Center for Literacy Studies
Phone:(865) 974-4109 main
           (865) 974-4258 direct
Fax:   (865) 974-3857
e-mail: akohring@utk.edu