[NIFL-ESL:10266] Re: I NEED FEEDBACK A.S.A.P.!!!

From: Lalyre, Yvonne L (YLalyre@doe.mass.edu)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 11:13:00 EDT

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:13:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lalyre, Yvonne L" <YLalyre@doe.mass.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10266] Re: I NEED FEEDBACK A.S.A.P.!!!

Learning another language, as learning algebra, opens doors to new and
fantastic ways to look at reality. Although we all have the same mouth
structure, the variety of sounds and sound combinations we can make to
convey human thoughts is simply amazing. Just take a look at the IPA
alphabet on the web:http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/fullchart.html. Every
time I learn a few phrases in an obscure language I revel at the sight of a
new smiling face. Algebra helped me understand how computers work (Boolean
algebra)and see relationships between time,space, and movement.

Both are also practical. Basic linear algebra is a bag of tricks to do
arithmetic easier. Mental arithmetic is algebra. Learning the grammatical
structure of another language helps understand the structure of one's own
language.

The list of reasons can go on and on.