[NIFL-ESL:10024] RE: adult ed ESL requirements

From: Ujwala Samant (lalumineuse@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 12:49:25 EST

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:49:25 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ujwala Samant <lalumineuse@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10024] RE: adult ed ESL requirements

I believe that training is offered in most programmes
for teachers who do not have teaching certifications.
I am not against teaching certification, but I do not
believe in either/or. I think we need someone who has
some training or is willing to acquire some. Besides,
we all know that a teaching certificate is no
guarantee of good teaching, at any level: K-12, adult,
ESOL or higher education. How many of us have artfully
dozed through lectures? How many of us have seen
teachers with certification and shudder when we watch
them teach?

I think finding the right person for the job is
essential. Training is important, for teachers with
and without certification. I think it's a tough call
when you see teachers who have certification and can't
teach, and excellent teachers who don't have the
required certification.

regards,
Ujwala Samant