[NIFL-ESL:10011] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

From: Pauline Mcnaughton (pmcnaughton@language.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 14:31:48 EST

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:31:48 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Pauline Mcnaughton" <pmcnaughton@language.ca>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10011] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

Actually they have been some successful human rights cases in Canada based
on discrimination because of "accents".  It is more appropriate to talk
about pronunciation rather than accent.

People can improve their pronunciation in order to be understood - they
cannot get rid of an "accent".

I try to nicely warn people about this whenever I can - particularly anyone
involved in human resources or employment counselling because it can get
them into trouble.

I have even noticed adds from private language schools and organizations
offering workplace training talking about "accent reduction" or "eliminating
your accent" - this is so very wrong and misleading.

Pauline McNaughton
Executive Director / Directrice executive
Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks/Centre des niveaux de competence
linguistique canadiens
200 Elgin Street, Suite 703 / 200 rue Elgin, piece 703
Ottawa, ON K2P 1L5
T (613) 230-7729 F (613) 230-9305
pmcnaughton@language.ca
< http://www.language.ca/>