[NIFL-ESL:9997] requirements and pay equity

From: said (said@ameritech.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 10:16:32 EST

Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 10:16:32 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "said" <said@ameritech.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9997] requirements and pay equity

With the talk of setting certain requirements for Adult Ed teachers, I was
wondering if any of the states or districts that have set requirements have
seen any kind of pay equity as a result for Adult Education teachers all
things being equal (like certification). And if you do have pay equity in
your state (for example, Adult Ed teachers get paid on the same scale as
K-12 teachers) how was this accomplished?

For the other lister who just asked--for those of us who work in Adult Ed
programs that are a part of school districts we are sometimes required to
have secondary or K-12 certification, even though we are teaching adults,
but because we are teaching for a school district (I guess). However, this
certification often doesn't have to be in ESL. Several teachers in our adult
ed program do not have ESL certification but have secondary certification in
other areas, generally language arts. I agree that this doesn't make sense,
but this is what happens when you start trying to create one specific
requirement for a position.

Terry Pruett-Said
Adult Ed ESL teacher
Michigan