[NIFL-ESL:9926] Staff Diversity in ABE ESOL Programs

From: Maria Elena Gonzalez (maria@alri.org)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 10:58:22 EST

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:58:22 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Maria Elena Gonzalez" <maria@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9926] Staff Diversity in ABE ESOL Programs

Dear Colleagues,

A week or so ago I posted a message inquiring about the issue of staff
diversity in ESOL programs for adults.  I am looking for information on how
other states, programs, or individuals might have dealt with this issue.
Except for one person who wrote directly to me asking that I post any
information that I receive to the entire list, no one has responded.

So now I'm pushing the envelope a little bit and asking:  Is this a
non-issue?  In Massachusetts, the Quality Indicators for ABE Programs funded
by DOE include under Program Management and Accountability that programs
show progress "...toward the goal that staff reflect similar cultural,
racial/ethnic, and linguistic background as that of the student population."
It has been difficult for many programs to achieve this goal and that is why
the Massachusetts System for Adult Basic Education Support (SABES) is
currently researching promising practices in the hiring and retention of
diverse staff in ABE/ESOL programs.  We are planning to talk directly to
programs across the state who have implemented such policies but are also
looking nationally for similar information.

What do you think?  Does your program have a diverse staff?  If so, why is
it so?  If not, why do you think it's so?   Does your state have a similar
goal for state-funded DOE programs?  If so, are they posted somewhere so I
can access the information?

 You can respond directly to me (email below) or to the entire list.  If
responding directly to me, please indicate if I may share your answer with
others.   Thank you very much for your help.

Maria E. Gonzalez
SABES Coordinator
Adult Literacy Resource Institute/Boston
SABES Regional Center
617-782-8956, X15
617-782-9011 (fax)