[NIFL-ESL:9886] Re: Black History Month

From: arconn@juno.com
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 19:33:30 EST

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:33:30 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: arconn@juno.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9886] Re: Black History Month

I use  the "I Have a Dream "speech  (made just for my ESl class) and have
them write their  dreams after talking about them.    I type these up
into a booklet,use them for reading.... make spelling words for the class
out of their misspelled words.  I also use  a poem by Langston Hughes. I
think it is called "My dream."  It has fairly easy words in it.  I ask
what is the wall that keeps them from their dream.  I usually spend about
a month on this lesson and it elicits lots of speech, reading, writing
and spelling.  and everyone can work on their own level. I use language
experience for those who have little English and type that up (after the
few in the class copy it) with all their names on it.  they love seeing
their writings in print and will usually read what they wrote to the
class. I can type you the poem if you want. It is short.