[NIFL-ESL:9861] RE: Prizes, was Re: Classroom games for Adults

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:52:31 EST

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:52:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9861] RE: Prizes, was Re: Classroom games for Adults

I think prizes are a fine idea. When I used to give out rewards for good
attendance, I tried to make the prizes literacy-related. Things like
mechanical pencils, erasers, post-it notes in fun colors, small notepads,
rulers, and along with that, peppermints. I think any prizes are good,
though, up to a point. When I put stickers on homework, they really loved
it, but I can't seem to keep track of stickers well enough to do that
regularly. Stickers with words on them are the best -- like Wow, terrific,
wonderful, super, etc., because it also teaches them new positive words.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Manager Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA