[NIFL-ESL:9832] Re: Community Involvement

From: ttweeton@comcast.net
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 14:33:41 EST

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:33:41 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: ttweeton@comcast.net
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9832] Re: Community Involvement

"What if they went to a soup kitchen and helped serve food?  Or they could
volunteer at a hospital in the children's ward?"

I don't mean to be a kill joy. All of these are good suggestions  for volunteering if one is an American,  but they presuppose that immigrants are familiar with Volunteerism in their own countries.  My experience is that most of my immigrant students have spent their lives scrambling the streets, so to speak, to find enough food to eat in their  countries. Perhaps  these suggestions would appeal to students based on their economic levels. The poorest of the poor, that I deal with, would NEVER have the courage to walk up to a soup kitchen, knock on the door and ask in poor English if they could be allowed to volunteer. They are the ones that need the soup kitchens themselves!! Any extra time they have is spent looking for jobs. Yet they too complain that they have little contact with Americans and because they do not have jobs, do not have the possibility  to speak in English with anyone.

Here is a thought.....Perhaps an arrangement could be made with the soup kitchensthat they spend time helping serve food and on clean-up, in exchange for one meal a day?

Tanya Tweeton
Adult ESOL
Lauderhill Community School
Fort Lauderdale, Florida