[NIFL-ESL:9820] Re: NIFL and research

From: Steve Quann (steve_quann@worlded.org)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 13:58:33 EST

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:58:33 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Steve Quann" <steve_quann@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9820] Re: NIFL and research

Janet,
After reading what you wrote, I for some reason had a flashback to a
trip to the old Soviet Union.  I had a conversation with a man who asked
me why we have so many different kinds of toothpaste in the United
States. He wondered why we just didn't do research and then, for the
good of the people, just sell the one that is the best. It now could
have relevance to this discussion of research.

I think most will agree that research is necessary; however, I don't
think that focusing only this approach in the field of education will
encourage the free flow of ideas that can meet the varied needs of the
consumers (read learners) unless there is huge and varied funding. And
like the toothpaste, once established as the best product (read
practice), it does not guarantee that there will be competition (read
exchange of ideas) for a new improved model once established.  In a
democracy, the back and forth flow of ideas, in this case between
teachers and researchers is crucial. If not, the "leaders" won't
be able to listen to their constituency.

I want the scientifically-based research, but I'd hate to see the
back and forth discussion of research and practice (such as on this
discussion list) truncated.

Steve Quann
NELRC / World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA
617.482.9485

>>> Janet_Isserlis@brown.edu 1/28/2004 12:36:47 PM >>>
Dear all,

(with apologies for cross-posting, but with keen interest in

There are many reasons for us to continue to support the critically
important work of NIFL, including its focus on adult  learning.  In a
recent conversation with a legislative aide, apractitioner reported
that the aide said "that he didn't necessarily  see
'researched-based' [practice/teaching] as a problem [for adult
literacy practitioners], as he put it, 'that means you just
havestudies showing that what you do works, and you don't just go
doing whatever you want to do'."

What do you think about that? If NIFL were to change, to
provid resources only on scientifically-based reading research
practices, how  would that impact adult literacy and basic
education?What does this mean to you?   Do you see that  as posing a
problem?  What are the implications in terms of our work of all of
the above?

Janet Isserlis