[NIFL-ESL:10630] "advanced" students:GED, or what?

From: MaryK (maryk@clear.lakes.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 12:33:29 EST

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:33:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "MaryK" <maryk@clear.lakes.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10630] "advanced" students:GED, or what?

For the first time ever, we have a few students in our 4-level
community-based program who are testing at CASAS SPL 8, and we're uncertain
what to do with them.  The solution that would allow for state-mandated
documentation of level advancement is transitioning them to GED, but, A)
their actual reading level is much lower than their CASAS score would
indicate -- 3rd grade NS materials are a challenge; B) none of these current
students have academic goals beyond our program; and, C) their real needs
are oral fluency, social skills and job- or child-related reading and
writing.

So my 2 questions are, if we go the GED
route, what texts and/or software have you found useful in making this
(huge) transition?
-- and, what are the rest of you doing with your non-college-bound ESL
population that has reached the top of the CASAS or other state-mandated
scale (and cannot, therefore, show further documented progress that counts
toward program funding)?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and wisdom.

Mari Kylo
Austin Community Ed/ABE/ESL