[NIFL-ESL:10499] Crosspost from AALPD

From: Lynda Terrill (lterrill@cal.org)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 10:21:40 EDT

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:21:40 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lynda Terrill" <lterrill@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10499] Crosspost from AALPD

Hello, Listers,

The following is a crosspost from Jackie Taylor, moderator of the NIFL-AALPD list. It   may be of interest to teachers who are using the election as a tool to assist adult English language learners  as they learn about American culture and civics.

Lynda Terrill
lterrill@cal.org

*************
Hello Everyone,
This past summer, subscribers were invited to participate in a survey choosing questions to ask candidates regarding their positions on adult literacy.  Some have expressed interest in using the responses as a resource in the classroom.

Below are the questions that were asked of four candidates, and the responses that have been received thus far (Bush and Kerry campaigns).

In what ways can ESOL, ABE, and adult literacy teachers use this resource?

How might professional developers assist adult basic education teachers in using this or similar resources?  In other words, how would you answer the teacher who asks, "How can I use this to help my students get a GED?"

See below...

Jackie Taylor
List Moderator
NIFL-AALPD

1. Access to Quality Programs
What should be the commitment of the federal government, if any, to ensure that all adults in the United States have guaranteed access to quality adult education and literacy programs to improve their academic skills, regardless of income, location, age, and national origin?

GWB:
I believe that we must do more to assist adults in becoming literate and obtaining the skills needed for employment and self-sufficiency.  My Administration has supported a comprehensive agenda to accomplish this goal.
These programs are part of an overall system of adult and worker training that ensures America has the best trained workforce in the world.  The Adult Education State Grant program is an important program in this effort, as demonstrated by the $34 million increase in funding since 2001.

JK:
Education is the key to opportunity, essential to a strong America. I believe that our country is strengthened when all of our people have the opportunity to succeed. Since my first term in the Senate, I have voted for investments in adult education and fought Republican attempts to cut these investments. John Edwards and I will strengthen education and lifelong learning in America so that everyone has the opportunity to get ahead and succeed in the economy of tomorrow.

2. Full Funding
What will you do to ensure full funding for adult education and literacy programs?

GWB:
I am committed to providing increased support for our education and job training programs.  My 2005 budget includes $590 million for Adult Basic and Literacy Education, including State formula grants, National Leadership Activities, and the National Institute for Literacy.

My budget requests $6.7 million for the National Institute for Literacy, with the expectation that new authorization legislation would continue support for its communication and capacity-building activities.  In addition, the budget provides $9.2 million to continue high-priority research, demonstration, and evaluation initiatives funded under National Leadership Activities.

JK:
I strongly support funding for adult education and literacy programs. People
of all skill levels need access to high-quality education. I will also work to
modernize financial aid rules to benefit more adults who seek continuing
education.

3. Training/re-training for the New Economy
Many U.S. workers function at low literacy levels. Some of these voters watch
their jobs being "outsourced" to foreign countries, but are not being given
adequate access to the training and education that will allow them to function
in the new "global, knowledge-based economy."  How would your administration
re-focus priorities to address the disappearance of the American dream for the
90 million US citizens functioning at the two lowest literacy levels who
cannot compete without additional education?

GWB:
My budget provides a record $23 billion for job training and employment
assistance ¡V a 12 percent increase over 2001 levels.  I have proposed
reforming our job training programs to double the number of workers trained
under them by giving governors the flexibility they need to meet their
workforce and adult education needs.  I will consolidate the Workforce
Investment Act¡¦s four major training programs into a single, flexible grant
to states.  By limiting the overhead expenses, we can ensure more funds are
spent training workers rather than growing a bureaucracy.  I will also
encourage the use of Innovation Training Accounts which give workers more
control over how and where their training dollars are spent, including the
flexibility to use the funds for adult education classes.  In addition, my
Jobs for the 21st Century initiative includes $250 million to help community
colleges train workers in high-growth fields.

Finally, I am proposing a $50 million Personal Reemployment Account pilot
program.  These accounts provide workers with additional flexibility in
selecting the services needed to help them return to work.  Eligible
unemployed workers can receive $3,000 to be used for whatever training and
services they believe will help them get back to work, such as child care,
adult education classes, or transportation.  As an incentive, recipients can
keep the balance of the account as a cash bonus if they find a job within 13
weeks.

JK:
Progress should bring prosperity for all, not just for those who are already
successful.

I believe that the private sector is the engine of economic growth and job
creation, and that the government's responsibility is to create an environment
that will promote private sector investment, foster vigorous competition, and
strengthen the foundations of an innovative economy. Companies can keep jobs
in America without sacrificing competitiveness. I will fight for American jobs
- creating new ones and protecting existing ones by cutting taxes for
companies that create jobs here at home and ending tax breaks for companies
that ship jobs overseas; by cutting costs and taxes to make American
businesses more competitive; and by investing in the good-paying jobs of
tomorrow to make sure that people of every age learn the skills they need to
be successful - today and in the future.

While the Bush Administration has proposed more than $1 billion in cuts to
worker training over the last three years, I will fight to expand training and
lifelong learning by expanding training as part of the Trade Adjustment
Assistance program, supporting regional skills alliances, and protecting
training conducted at community colleges.

4.  Intergenerational Literacy
Children need education.  Those who do not get education now will become
adults who need literacy skills.  If you teach adults, they will help their
kids.  What are you willing to do to improve adult literacy programs?

GWB:
We must increase the focus of adult literacy programs on strengthening skills
in basic reading, math, and English acquisition for adults who have weak
literacy skills or want to earn their high school diploma or a GED.  As a
result, I have proposed a blueprint for key areas of change in current
legislation including:
"X	Requiring States to establish more effective and accountable programs that
set challenging expectations for students, use meaningful assessments, and
align instruction to meet those expectations;
"X	Improving the performance accountability system;
"X	Enhancing the emphasis on research to build a stronger foundation of
knowledge for improving adult education; and
"X	Strengthening partnerships with the One-Stop delivery system under Title I
of Workforce Investment Act.

I will also continue to promote literacy programs through Head Start, Early
Reading First, and Title I.  I will develop a comprehensive web-based literacy
tool for adults, which would be made available in public libraries, community
colleges, and at social service offices, including Head Start Centers and
One-Stop job centers.  This literacy tool will increase adult literacy across
the United States.

This summer we began a program to train Head Start parents.  The Head Start
Parent-Mentor Training Program is helping parents enhance their children¡¦s
language and literacy skills and helping them learn how to mentor other
parents to do the same with their children.  This stresses the importance of
supporting parents and families in rearing their children and reflects the
Administration¡¦s commitment to helping parents enhance their children¡¦s
growth and development.  Over 1,200 parents participated in the training,
which they considered helpful and were excited to share with other parents.
Head Start¡¦s goal is to train 3,000 volunteer parents, who will in turn train
thousands more.  Training for Hispanic/Latino parents was conducted in
Spanish, and Spanish-speaking parents reported that they learned a lot and
were honored to have received their instruction in Spanish.

JK:
Parents who can read are parents who can gain steady employment and help their
children with their homework. I have consistently supported initiatives that
expand opportunities for adult education. Programs such as those supported by
the National Even Start Association are critical to ending intergenerational
poverty by providing family literacy education to children and parents in
low-income areas.

President Bush's proposed FY 2005 budget cuts all funding for the Even Start
program. We are in the midst of an extraordinary crisis¡nearly one-third of
our children are not even graduating from high school. This loss of human
talent is a clear and present danger to the future of our economy and our
nation. Instead of cutting programs that help children learn to read, we must
build a stronger America by giving all young people the opportunity to achieve
their potential. I am committed to increasing achievement not only for the
more than 1 million young people who do not graduate each year, but for the
much larger group of 6 million students who are at risk of dropping out or
graduating without the skills they need.

In order to make sure that no child suffers from the limitations of
illiteracy, I will create an Education Trust Fund that will fully fund No
Child Left Behind, which President Bush has underfunded by more than $26
billion. I will strengthen middle schools through mentoring and college
partnerships, and strengthen high school education, by promoting smaller
schools and more challenging high school curricula, with literacy education
for students who have fallen behind. My plan will require young people to do
their part by supporting states that can revoke driver¡¦s licenses from
students who drop out. It will enforce the provisions of NCLB which require
full disclosure and accountability for graduation rates.

5.  National Adult Literacy Initiative to Address Issues of the Working Poor
Since it is the goal of this nation to create "new" jobs, employ the "working
poor" in "better" jobs as an ongoing goal of the Personal Responsibility and
Work Opportunities Reconciliation Act of 1996 (Welfare Reform) and to help
colleges and universities manage their growing adult student population
seeking new skills, what steps would you propose as a national adult literacy
initiative to help address these issues?

GWB:
Welfare reform has been an unquestioned success.  Millions of Americans have
moved from welfare to work.  In fact, welfare rolls are at their lowest levels
in 34 years.  Now Congress must reauthorize compassionate welfare reform, so
that even more men and women can know the pride of independence,
self-reliance, and strengthened families.  Education and job-skills training
are vital tools to help people get back on their feet.  That is why I have
proposed significant reforms to the major Federal worker training programs to
double the number of workers receiving job training, ensure those programs
work better for America¡¦s workers, and close the skills gap so every
high-growth job is filled with a well-trained American worker.  Welfare
assistance must be a step up to a better life, not a way of life in itself.
By encouraging work, we will help more Americans provide for themselves and
their families and give them an opportunity to succeed in every facet of their
lives.  I look forward to strengthening our successful welfare reform law and
enhancing our job skills and training programs consistent with these
principles.

JK:
I strongly support adult literacy initiatives so that all Americans have the
tools they need to succeed. To ensure that the working poor can make a decent
living, I also support raising the minimum wage to $7.00 per hour, expanding
the earned income tax credit, and ensuring low-cost access to health care
together with expanded child care.

In addition, the National Council of State Directors of Adult Education adds
the following two questions. We would be pleased to publish your answers to
these, as well.

6.  Health Literacy
What should be the commitment of the federal government, if any, to ensure
that all adults in the United States have the capacity to obtain, process, and
understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate
health care decisions?

GWB:
Limited health literacy is a serious problem involving poor reading skills and
difficulty with numbers, which can translate into difficulty understanding
dosages, taking prescriptions, reading food labels, and filling out informed
consent forms.  I am committed to preparing all children to read and succeed
and giving adults the basic education necessary for every aspect of society,
including the workplace and the doctor¡¦s office.  Achieving health literacy
also includes doctors and health care providers presenting information in a
simple, user-friendly way.  Last year, the Federal Agency for Healthcare
Research and Quality, the American Medical Association, and the American
Hospital Association launched a campaign to help educate physicians and
patients about the importance of effective communication.  My initiative on
health information technology will also help by automating many bureaucratic
and administrative tasks in doctors¡¦ offices so that doctors have more time
to spend with patients and ensure that patients understand the complex health
issues facing them.

JK:
Our nation still struggles to close disparities in health care access, care,
and outcomes. The tremendous gains that we have witnessed in science and
medicine have benefited millions of our citizens, but too often they are out
of reach for our most vulnerable populations. We need to do more to train
health professionals who serve on the front lines of the medical field, so
that they are equipped with the necessary skills to best serve their patients.
I will work to eliminate health disparities by expanding health insurance to
95 percent of Americans and every American child, improving language access
programs in medical facilities, and ensuring access to quality care through
greater disease management and prevention efforts. The need is great and the
time is now to improve the health of those Americans who have been left
behind.

7. English for Speakers of Other Languages
What should be the commitment of the federal government, if any, to ensure
that immigrants have opportunities to learn the English language and civic
participation roles so they are able to realize the opportunities and fulfill
the responsibilities of living in this country?

GWB:
The Institute for Education Science, in the Department of Education, is
conducting research on the most effective instructional techniques for
children and adults learning English as a second language.  I will also
develop a comprehensive web-based literacy tool for adults, which would be
made available in public libraries, community colleges, and at social service
offices, including Head Start Centers and One-Stop job centers.  This literacy
tool will increase adult literacy across the United States.

JK:
I strongly support expanded English language and civics education so that
immigrants can assume all of the rights and responsibilities of American
citizenship. I would place these efforts in the context of a responsible
reform of our immigration laws that honors our tradition as a nation of
immigrants and makes America safer and stronger.