[NIFL-ESL:10463] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

From: kate.diggins (kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 12:37:14 EDT

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "kate.diggins" <kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10463] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

Now that you mention it, maybe my friends at NIFL can help me with a statistic as well.  On National Public Radio's Morning Edition on 9/20, Mandalit del Barco did a story on adult literacy in Los Angeles.  In this story, she stated that, according to Census 2000 figures, 48% of American adults are functionally illiterate. I found this statistic very interesting, and I would like to use it for fundraising purposes, etc...  I want to make sure it's watertight, though, and my own exploration of Census 2000's web site revealed no information about literacy per se, only about levels of education.  Is there anyone out there who can verify this stat, or tell me its origin?