[NIFL-ESL:10282] Re: Helping a struggling student

From: Maria Elena Gonzalez (maria@alri.org)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 16:18:02 EDT

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:18:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Maria Elena Gonzalez" <maria@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10282] Re: Helping a struggling student

Pauline -thank you for sharing this story.  It describes almost point by
point my experience with a couple of students (also women) that I taught a
few years back.  I was especially struck with the detail about how
uncomfortable they felt with having added attention and I'm sad to write
that in one of my cases, I suspect that the student left the class because I
had singled her out for extra help.  I feel badly about it because as in
your case, this student was delighted at being part of the class even though
she was not making any progress.  I too felt that the problem might have
been a mild form of mental retardation as opposed to a learning disability
but I did not have enough time to figure it out completely.

Maria E. Gonzalez
ALRI/SABES Boston