[NIFL-ESL:10184] postings

From: Fiona Frank (fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 03:58:09 EST

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 03:58:09 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Fiona Frank" <fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10184] postings

 Thanks everyone for your great postings - including  Ujwala-the-peacemaker
(!).   I've only just caught up with the list again.  I love it when people
start expressing your REAL feelings... It happens when someone inadvertently
expresses something which can be taken as racist thinking by someone else -
and everyone suddenly wants to stand up and be counted.  But don't forget we
all have 'first thoughts' about other groups that we're not part of -
especially those which we're not members of and don't count as personal
friends. We can't HELP having those thoughts, because (especially here in
England but I bet in the US too and wherever else you are) the media throw
them down our throats all the time.  At the moment in England, if you only
listened to the radio and read the tabloid press, you would think that all
muslims were potential terrorists.  Last year it was all about how all
asylum seekers are 'illegal' and therefore 'abusing our country'....

Someone said you found it difficult sitting in Jewish ritual ceremonies.
Could you say more about that?  I am doing a big seder night (passover
supper) coming up this Monday.  It turns out that it's going to be all
women, including two and a half gay couples.  Most people are Jewish or
partners of Jewish women, two are of 'Jewish heritage', one currently going
through the process of converting.   [I am wondering if my mum will notice
about the gay thing by the way, but that's by the bye!].  I usually have a
large mixed group for my seder, as I go round Lancaster in the months before
inviting various people who have a tenuous connection with Judaism....  I
never like doing it as a 'performance' for non-Jews (it was strange, for
example, when my daughter's schoolteacher and his girlfriend came one year).
I much prefer doing it as a ritual for 'ourselves'.  Maybe that's why you
find it uncomfortable? Because the people hosting it might be uncomfortable
with your presence?  Maybe it's not your fault!

Best
Fiona Frank
Hon Research Fellow
Educational Research Dept
Lancaster University
(and PhD Student, Centre for Jewish Studies, Manchester University)
England
fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk