[NIFL-ESL:10147] Re: layers of meaning

From: Sissy Kegley (sissy.kegley@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 14:20:16 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:20:16 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sissy Kegley" <sissy.kegley@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10147] Re: layers of meaning

I'm confused also by some messages.

To clarify, to the extent that there has been response to my example
related to the word, "foreigner":

I chose that particular word because it appeared in the original message
I was addressing.

I used an example which I think supported my point,
although perhaps I didn't give sufficient context of the situation,
which is that:

following a lengthy unit on globalization and the ways in which day
laborers and other low-wage workers are discriminated against,
the learners in my class were reviewing related-vocabulary.
The curriculum and the language learning was entirely related to their
lives, and had
been developed in the previous sessions by their peers. One of the words
which they asked me about was "foreigner", and they told me it offended
them.

In this particular situation, I was not an immigrant. I was not the one
who decided what was offensive.

I strive to "look.. at <myself> critically and admit.. to <myself> who <
I > really < am >" as has been suggested by Eugenio.

We lived in Africa a couple of years ago. I was frequently offended by
vocabulary, even though I was well aware of the bigger context.
When I looked for work, and saw ads saying that non-nationals were not
welcome, I was offended. Of course, my reaction was emotional.

In fact, one of the lessons I learned was that after a lifetime of
feeling guilt, discomfort, anger, etc for being associated with my
country of origin, the US, I was
better served by learning from the people in that culture. As a nation
which had not secured its independence until 1990, there was a genuine
pride for the country among all
its residents. I learned that if I was angry about my country, the most
constructive thing I could do was to come back here and do something
about it.

At any rate, I stand by my example. I think it is an assumption to
portray this as an issue of political correctedness.

Sissy Kegley
ESOL/Adult Education
(301) 588-4333 home office
(301) 467-5364 cellular