[NIFL-ESL:10019] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 21:18:06 EST

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:18:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10019] Re: Fw: Diversity in staffing

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly with this observation! If I dig deep
enough, I can recall my own struggles with learning English grammar versus
the understanding (approaching enlightenment at times) I experienced when I
began studying my "foreign" language.  The insights, for me, were most often
directly related to my ignorance of English grammar. (Forgive me, Mrs.
Fadus, for not being a better student then!).

On the other hand, I suspect that students' concern is that they may be
missing out on the socio-cultural aspects of language development when being
instructed by a fluent/near-fluent non-native speaker of English.  I can't
argue, however, that in a situation where a student is "paying" for the
experience of being instructed by a "native" teacher, they shouldn't have
their expectations considered.  By contrast, in my experiences with
community-based programs, students might be re-directed to consider what it
means to acculturate by losing one's accent, picking up on slang and other
cultural references in language, etc.  These adults are living and working
in a community that places pressure on them to adapt to its norms. It might
be a breath of fresh air to see a professional in the classroom whose
English is constructed on conscious choices to maintain an active and
healthy bilingualism.

Varshna N. Jackson
Austin, TX