[NIFL-ESL:9962] RE: question on intensity of instruction and teacher qualification

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 13:39:06 EST

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:39:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9962] RE: question on intensity of instruction and teacher qualification

1) Intensity of instruction. The federal Even Start family literacy program
specifies that adults must have at least 9 hours per week of classroom
instruction. It also specifies at least 32 weeks of instruction, plus some
kind of summer program that provides both education and enrichment. This is
what we do.

2) Teacher qualification. This is harder, since there aren't recognized
standards for Adult Ed teachers, and it's hard to find credentialed people
willing to work for the wages we typically pay in the field. At this point,
we require a Bachelors degree plus experience and/or certificate in teaching
ESL or related field. In the past we made it an Associates plus experience.
We usually have some sort of clause saying "or equivalent combination of
education and experience" or something like that to give us an out should we
find a perfect candidate who doesn't have the right credentials.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Manager Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA