[NIFL-ESL:9795] New from NCLE: Resource Collection on What Beginning ESL Teachers Need to Know

From: Miriam Burt (miriam@cal.org)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 12:08:25 EST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:08:25 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Miriam Burt" <miriam@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9795] New from NCLE: Resource Collection on What Beginning ESL Teachers Need to Know

In my last posting to this list I spoke about the fact that research on second language acquisition informs instruction for adult English language learners. I gave you the URL--  http://www.cal.org/ncle/ResSLA.htm-- for a resource compilation NCLE has put together on that topic.

As key as second language acquisition research is, it's not everything a teacher needs to know to facilitate English language acquisition with adult learners.

Knowing about adult learning theory and about the intersection of language is also important, as is access to curricula and professional development.

Information on all of these topics is available, on line, in NCLE's new resource compilation, What Beginning Teachers and Tutors of Adult English Language Learners Need to Know.  http://www.cal.org/ncle/ResBegTch.htm

This collection provides a useful overview for those new-- and those not so new -- to adult English as a second language (ESL) teaching.

While this is not an exhaustive list of materials, it is representative of what is available online and in print. More importantly, because all resources are annotated in this collection, it is far more useful than a simple laundry list of all available materials.

Compiled by Donna Moss and Lynda Terrill, the collection also features comments from a focus group of experienced teachers held at the Arlington Education and Employment Program (REEP) in Arlington, Virginia.
Miriam
*******
Miriam Burt
National Center for ESL Literacy Education
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th Street NW
Washington, DC  20016
miriam@cal.org
(202) 362-0700, ext. 256
(202) 363-7204 (fax)
www.cal.org/ncle

Oyez   Oyez   Oyez    Oyez....

Next week look for information on two new briefs from NCLE on second language acquisition for adult English language learners, the other on issues in measuring outcomes in workplace ESL programs.