[NIFL-ESL:10615] Re: [SPAM] Defending Workplace ESL

From: Laurie Ketzenberg (lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 18:54:17 EST

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:54:17 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Laurie Ketzenberg <lketzenberg@resolutionpictures.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10615] Re: [SPAM] Defending Workplace ESL

William,

As you probably know, many of the benefits are intangible, especially in the
short run.  Workers' feeling they're valued by their employer is a plus.
Providing this opportunity likely fosters an atmosphere of good will and
sends an important message to employees that they're worth the investment.
While "the bottom line" is probably the driving force behind the company's
motivation, they can only be profitable if their employees have
opportunities for professional development.

Who see the students making progress?  Do you?  What kind of progress?  Do
the students themselves indicate they are learning and developing their
English competency?  If so, in what ways?  If not, why?  Do the managers
have any idea how long it takes to learn another language?  What are their
expectations?  Depending on how long you've been at it, you might discuss
your endeavor qualitatively and suggest ways it fits into the workers' and
the company's objectives.  Regardless, the managers need to realize there is
no quick fix and they need to stick with the program in order to realize
benefits in the long term.

Good luck and let us know how the meeting goes!

Laurie