[NIFL-ESL:10264] Helping a struggling student

From: Hillary Frazey (hfrazey@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 09:36:57 EDT

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:36:57 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Hillary Frazey <hfrazey@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10264] Helping a struggling student

Hello,

I have been reading this list for a long time, but this is my first post.

I am teaching a multilevel ESL class in an Even Start Family Literacy
program.  I have 14 mothers ranging in CASAS scores from 199 to 240.  I
started working with the class about a month ago and we are slowly but
surely finding our way together.

My concern is with the mom who has the greatest need for ESL.  We just
completed another round of testing which confirmed my feeling that
everyone in the class is making progress....except for this mom, whose
score went down (to 197).  Aside from the test scores (which I try to use
as a guide and not a "be all end all"), she is also struggling in class.
Her attendance is fairly good and she tries very hard and wants to learn.
But she doesn't understand much of anything that goes on in class unless
another student translates for her (she is a native Spanish speaker along
with about 2/3 of the class).

I am wondering how I can best help her.  I have structured the class so
that I can spend time working with her one-on-one.  How would it be best
to spend this time?  Should I focus on vocabulary, using flashcards
perhaps?  Or maybe try TPR (which I haven't done, any tips would be
appreciated)?  Should I try some bilingual materials and encourage her to
translate or have other students help her translate?  Or should I just
give her more time?  I feel like my current approach is working for the
rest of the class but not for her and I wonder what I could do
differently.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Take care,
Hillary