[NIFL-ESL:10240] Re: web sites for beginners

From: Carolyn Grimaldi (cgrimaldi@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 15:23:59 EDT

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:23:59 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Carolyn Grimaldi" <cgrimaldi@lagcc.cuny.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10240] Re: web sites for beginners

I always use the following website with my beginner ESL/Beginner
computer users:

http://www.web-books.com/language/INTER0/English_Main.htm

I usually start with the basic lesson, in which they have to click on a
picture and hear the word pronounced.  It's a great way to get mouse
practice and also get excited about learning English via the computer.
They usually need help getting onto the website, but the motivation to
hear the words gets them lots of practice with the mouse.

Carolyn Grimaldi
Instructor
Center for Immigrant Education and training
cgrimaldi@lagcc.cuny.edu

>>> steve_quann@worlded.org 4/28/2004 11:14:37 AM >>>
Sandra,
Try the following links. Although the activties are good, teachers
will
need to carefully walk through instructions. (These particular ones
are
good aren't always intuitive.)
http://www.clta.on.ca/EAOnline/MouseMaster/
http://www.ckls.org/~crippel/computerlab/tutorials/mouse/page1.html
You might try this so they put things into practice.
http://tech.worlded.org/docs/clothing/index.html
Good luck,
Steve Quann
World Education
Steve Quann
NELRC / World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA
617.482.9485

>>> heyer@ticon.net 04/28/04 10:07 AM >>>
The IT person in our school district has volunteered to do a couple of

"Introduction to the Computer" classes with our adult ESL learners.  We

have two terrific bilingual high school students to translate and help,

so language will not be a problem.  But we need some web sites to go to

that would help orient our students to the use of the mouse and other
basic skills.  Any suggestions for web sites that would be appropriate

for adults who have no experience with computers, the Internet, or
typing?  I'd like to find some sites that either teach basic skills or

are just fun to explore, with minimal language.  Most are Spanish
speakers.  Thanks!
Sandra Heyer
Whitewater Community Education
Whitewater, WI