[NIFL-ESL:10175] RE: attendence trends

From: Bonnie Odiorne (bonniesophia@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 18:06:29 EST

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:06:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Bonnie Odiorne" <bonniesophia@adelphia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10175] RE: attendence trends

I'm interested that you say that this doesn't happen at those other centers.
Why not? Different location, better access, different demographics?
Otherwise I'd suggest all the reasons my students have dropped out:
mental/physical health, child care, lack of interest (I might not have been
meeting their needs, or the focus of the course didn't), transportation,
perceiving the gap between how they thought they were functioning and that
"higher" level they hadn't been aware of. Another possibility is that people
of certain cultures don't want to say no overtly, so won't tell you why. It
has not a whole lot to do with trust, I think. In terms of yourself as a
teacher, ask a successful colleague with a higher retention rate to come in
and observe. There might be a very simple technique or some other intangible
you're not aware of.
Best of luck. Been there.
Warmest Regards,
Bonnie Odiorne Ph.D
Program Faciliator
Working Smart
Computers 4 Kids
Silas Bronson Library Information Technology Center
Waterbury, CT
Integrating Technology, ABE and ESL Instruction