[NIFL-ESL:10163] RE: attendence trends

From: Eugenio Longoria (ezl109@psu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 14:12:03 EST

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:12:03 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Eugenio Longoria" <ezl109@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10163] RE: attendence trends

Colleen,

Why ask us?  I think you should ask your students.  Our responses will be
the same old stereotyped responses that scientific research has acculturated
us with.  These questions are best answered by the students.  Ask them why
they stopped coming.  If you've been able to establish a relationship with
them thus far, then they will not be afraid to answer honestly.  Also don't
make them feel like they have to come back.  They already stopped coming
because something else has taken precedence.  I do suggest that you make
them feel like maybe you can help solve whatever it is that is keeping them
from coming (only if there is something to be solved).  Otherwise, respect
their decision.  Give them power over that, that decision is theirs.  Maybe
then, they just might come back.

Eu-