[NIFL-ESL:10150] Re: layers of meaning

From: Ujwala Samant (lalumineuse@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 04:40:44 EST

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 04:40:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ujwala Samant <lalumineuse@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10150] Re: layers of meaning

Bonnie,

I know what you mean (well I think I do, correct me if
I'm wrong))), because I get the same from the French
on my accent and language use. But America was the
first place where I would get "How well have you lived
in America?" My response when I first arrived, "Two
weeks". "OH MY GOD! You really speak English well."
And I was supposed to think of that as being
complimentary. At one point I was irritated enough to
say, "Well you're not doing so badly yourself
considering you're American." I did feel badly about
that later on, but by that time I was getting fedup of
having to point out that the same folks who colonised
them, colonised India, etc. etc.

I was/am still told that I don't come across as
Indian, and that was another compliment. And in
France, I get compliments on my pronunciation, use of
argot, lack of an accent (!?!) and for being a "modern
Indian". I've just stopped caring. I either make it
into a joke or ignore the stuff.

Ahh well, if I had a dollar for every such veiled
compliment ("Oh you're so articulate" was another
one.), I would be a wealthy woman!
regards,
Ujwala Samant

=== message truncated ===