[NIFL-ESL:10140] Re: layers of meaning

From: Susan Ryan (susanefl@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 13:18:15 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:18:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10140] Re: layers of meaning

If I travel to a foreign ( to me) country, to the inhabitants there I am a
foreigner. I do not find this offensive at all. You could take amost any
word; put a certain tone or slant to it, and be offensive.
However, the meaning of the word "foreigner" is not offensive. We are all
foreigners" at some time.
Susan