[NIFL-ESL:10135] Re: layers of meaning

From: Eugenio Longoria (ezl109@psu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 10:48:57 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:48:57 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Eugenio Longoria" <ezl109@psu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10135] Re: layers of meaning

I can't believe this conversation.  I never really like to post anything,
but I guess today my tolerance level is a bit low.  In life you cannot have
just one perspective; you have to have many.  I am a foreigner and like
being one.  I like to stand out from the mass of acculturated beings that
this country is.  But, many times I just like to fit in as well as I can.  I
walk both roads never at once, but alternately.  I have to.  It is not that
I am living two lives, I am living one.  But this life is full of events
that I have to navigate through.  I navigate through each one as best as I
can, sometimes as a foreigner and sometimes as an acculturated being.
Putting all personal agendas aside, when was the last time any of you looked
at yourselves critically and admitted to yourselves who you really are.  Who
is playing God here?  None of us know more than the person next to us.  I am
the first to say that I know nothing more that the "Illiterates" Mr. Muro
refers to.  They are not less literate than you and you not more than them.
Everyone reads the world a certain way.  Literacy is not a language only of
letters; it includes that which is seen, heard, felt, and perceived.  We are
ignorant to think that progress lies only in the written word.  Everyone is
a "foreigner" or outsider, including you Mr. Muro and Ms. Tanya and Ms.
Sissy.  We all don't belong somewhere (whether it is in a certain family,
neighborhood, or social club).  Don't forget this idea, you are not alien to
it.  Or has it been so long that you haven't felt like a "foreigner" or
outsider in any situation.  This is where our faults lie.  We alienate
ourselves from those experiences we attribute to others.  If we thought of
ourselves like those we claim to help, then we would be more aware of the
rhetoric that Mr. Muro has so attacked.  Anyway, I could go on forever, but
I have work to do.  I am only a student, So I don't claim to be right, but
I'd rather be a student for life than a teacher who is not willing to admit
when they don't know much.

Eugenio Longoria Saenz