[NIFL-ESL:10132] Re: layers of meaning

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 09:22:45 EST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:22:45 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@Brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10132] Re: layers of meaning

Tanya

It hadn't occurred to me to even speculate that the student you were
discussing might have bought her license - but this makes the point
I'm trying to get across all the more important and difficult, I
think.

Driving skills are not the same as language skills.  Knowing the
area, having an awareness of landmarks, signs, etc, are part of a
broader sort of cultural literacy, maybe - but why do you assume that
people with no formal education might buy licenses?  I've just had to
retake my driving test (written and road) because my license expired.
I aced the written test.  I learned the difference between a full
stop and a rolling stop on the road test, which i just about passed.

I can not drive on the highway.  I lack that skill.  I'm afraid of
it.  I have two advanced degrees.  They mean nothing to my road
skills, trust me.

What's troubling me in your message is that, as it's written, it
seems to assert that those lacking formal education can not drive -
without acknowledging that taking a written test about driving is a
very very different thing from knowing how to drive.

Sure, people buy licenses.  That's *not* the point, though.  A basic
respect for the abilities and coping strategies your students have,
as well as work to support the areas they need to strengthen , seems
to be the task at hand for us as educators.

Janet